1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota Hard Starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bob, Jan 20, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm posting this for a friend. He has a 1999 Grasshopper 725 G2 with a liquid cooled Kubota 3 cylinder gas engine. He said that in the mornings it won't start. He has to shoot carburetor cleaner directly into the carburetor to get it to fire up. After that, it will start any time for the rest of he day. But the next morning, the process starts all over. It has a manual choke, but that doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?
  2. mower17

mower17 LawnSite Member
    from la

You solved your own problem. It is probably the choke. Maybe the cable/linkage is broke or needs adjusting, it simply won't stop the air for a cold start-up. That's why he needs to spray the carb cleaner into it. Also, check to make sure the butterfly valve for the choke is closing all the way. All you have to do is take the air filter off and you should see it right there.
  3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I didnt think kubota made a gas engine...that could be your problem LOL
  4. bob

from DE

I think your right! I'll tell my buddy to fill the tank up with diesel!:D

Just kidding, I also own 2 Grasshopper mowers with Kubota gas engines.
  5. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

We have a couple of Walkers out there with the same 3 cylinder gas Kubota engines. One thing people don't realize is that the distributor cap on these engines is vented by tubes that stick out right near the flywheel. Sometimes when grass builds up near the vent tube it keeps moisture in the cap and you get a weak spark or no spark especially in the morning. It sometimes acts like a carb problem as well. Another tip is to be careful when you wash the unit down, try not to blast the back of the engine with water. It fills the distributor with water. Hope that helps a little.
  6. bob

from DE

My friend discovered that if he backs the choke off a little less than full choke it starts. He seams to think its getting choked too much