Kubota Infinity Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This year Kubota is releasing this new Infinity deck in their residential lineup.
    I know it's residential, but I still remain most impressed with Kubota's drive-forward mentality in their turf products.

Anyways, this new deck is an old idea, but with a new outside of the box twist to it...

Walker, BobCat, Simplicity, Kubota, John Deere and eXmark have had "collection" mowers with counter-rotating blades for some time now. Same concept... but a new twist... they don't counter-rotate "IN" for center-deck collection.... instead they counter-rotate opposite "OUT".

From the claims I've heard from Kubota, this could be the birth of the first true 'flip-a-lever' 3-N-1 deck. The decks are 42" and 48"... both 2-blade as expected... but are not straight-aligned or timed... but instead are staggered offset like other normal 2 blade decks.

Now, counter-rotators generally mulch like crazy, and lift up tire-smashed grass better... but the difference with this one is that the layout and rotation cycle allow it to also side discharge or use side discharge collection.

Simple open-close change from side discharge to mulching... no other moving parts needed.

Maybe you all think it's dumb... but I think it is cool... and wonder how well it ACTUALLY works... and if it will someday be applied to commercial products.

Anyways, it's been released on their site now, so you can go here and check out how it works if interested....

http://www.kubota.com/f/products/t1880/index.cfm

2. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting, Thanks for the tip, I allways like to see new things from Kubota whatever they may be. Ill check it out.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Envy, I saw that deck on Freepatents.com. I suspect John Deere's patent on a similar deck with timed blades has expired? I have been wanting to build a deck that counter rotates for ten years but the only blade available that I have seen is the WAlker, not so good for mulcher. Thanks for the link. That design should do wonders for eliminating the left wheel track side discharge mowers leave.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Well... I'm not sure there was a patent for John Deere on theirs.
    I'm thinking Simplicity did the timed counter-rotating direct collector first.
    They basically plugged that and made the Freedom 42.

The Freedom 42 is a VERY good deck but limited with no ability to do anything else but mulch.
    The Infinity is similar, but opposite. Blades not timed because they don't need to be... and reverse blade rotation... which allows it to side discharge by removing the chute blocker. Evidently this setup produces a much stronger discharge than you would think because Kubota did away with the blower on the bagger system.

5. dishboy

from zone 6

Deere & CO. US patent # us6065276

6. Envy Lawn Service

For a minute there I was wondering how they managed that.
    But then it hit me that this was for the Freedom 42.
    A MULCHING mower deck.

Simplicity did it first I'm pretty sure... but they used the concept for direct collection. The deck design was the same... straight across, timed blades, left spinning clockwise, right spinning counter clockwise... directing clippings to the center rear of the deck for direct collection into a rear bag.

Deere used the same design concept, but made it a mulch-only.
    So I understand how they got the patent.

The Infinity deck is off the same concept, just reverse, non-timed and not straight across.The blade spindles are not dead across from each other, so the blades do not have to be timed (like a regular 2-blader). The left turns counter clockwise and the right turns clockwise.... Same effect for mulching, but it also allows for a sort of figure-8 clipping flow, which allows for side discharge and side collection.

For what it's worth, I thought of it before, but figured it would probably build up and clog towards the front between the blades. Guess I was wrong and it doesn't??? I figured the force would just plaster stuff to the front skirt, but the way they talk, it actually creates a much stronger discharge flow.

7. dishboy

from zone 6

Envy, how are they getting the second blade to counter rotate, gearboxes or like the deere with two extra pulleys and wrapping the belt around the backside of the blade pulley. Like I said before this design ought to minimize that dreaded left wheel track that is so pronounced on side bagging decks. Stuffing that deck under a Hydro walk with a floating frame set up like Exmark so you can dial in blade pitch would make quite a machine for medium size residential. I thought you could bag from the top of a deck for some time, maybe not as well as the side, but snapper does it with the vac decks 21 and 28 inch. I bet you could put that opening anywhere on that design so you could bag to a catcher sitting on top of a walk so grass weight does not pull one side down and you could go straight through gates.