Kubota KX 41 - right machine?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by turfquip, Aug 26, 2005.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating the KX 41 for my landscape business. Mostly, I'll be depending on it to dig shallow footers for garden walls, planting trees, shrub removal, drainage, etc. but rarely will dig deeper than say 3'. The soil is hard pan clay mostly but considering the shallow nature of my digging, am thinking this machine will have adequate power (17 HP) to get the job done?

BTW, dealer is quoting 22,300 with an 18" bucket. Is there another mfg's machine in this class I should consider?

2. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I rent a kx 41 when I need an excavator and let me tell you that by far it is not underpowered. I moved rocks that weight atleast 1 ton without to much trouble. I totally recommend it!
    James

3. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 301.8 Cat which is in that same class that we use a 16, 12, and 9" bucket on for those same pruposes. We also mount a 3' trencher on the stick and can swing it in places where walk behind trenchers don't dare go.

You will find that size under powered, but them consdier it is a mini micro, and you are not doing basements, even though we used ours on a swimming pool this year.

Our soild ranges from hard panned clay, to rock. An essential tool for the mini X is a bird finger rip tooth. We had ours made, but when we get in shale, you an just reach in to the cracks and peel it right off.
    What sold it was the width. Can get in where nothing else gets in.

I don't know Kubota, but if all you are using it for is what you list, it will get the job done for you.

4. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys.