Kubota KX161-3 Excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by start2finish, Apr 28, 2006.

1. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

Buying a 12000 mini-excavator next week and still debating on bucket sizes.

any ideas, I am only going to buy two

12 inch for pipe and water lines (most of the soil here is clay) as well as stumping

24 or 30 inch for retaining wall footers and to dig propane tank holes. (the extra six inches on wall footers doesn't bother me much)

I need some input

2. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

if it were my machine i would want a trenching/digging bucket 18-24", and the biggest cleanup bucket they have for the machine.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The contractor I worked for had a trenching bucket its something like a 10-12 inch wide bucket good for digging hard pan only had 3 teeth on it. They had a regular digging bucket something in the 18-20" range and a clean up bucket.

You would also want a quick connect either it be manual (cheapest) or hydraulic pin on buckets are too slow if you doing a job which requires bucket size changes.

4. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

clean up is worth the $$ for sure

5. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

24" is what we use the most on ours:weightlifter:

6. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

For our 161-3 we have:

12" tiger tooth bucket - the stump ripper

24" tiger tooth bucket - normally gets rock work

30" toothless sand bucket - our GP bucket for footings and the like.

36" trash and demolition rake - invaluable for pulling bricks out of the dirt.

The buckets have deep belly's and with the 30" you can lift a track swinging full.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

A 12" is a must and so is a 24" in my operation. I also have a 50" clean out bucket that is excellent to have around as well. I am going to get a 30" as well. I would also make sure you get a QC. What kind of Excavator are you getting?

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Just a shot in the dark, but I'd guess a Kubuta KX161-3.

:clapping:

9. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

correct !!!!!!!!!!

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

What? Are you mocking my keen powers of observation? You know after I checked back on the site and read the title it came to me as well. :hammerhead: