Kubota L3400 question

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by tjcezar, May 17, 2005.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am looking to buy a Kubota L3400 w/ backhoe and was wondering what you guys think of that machine. For the price I think it is the best in its class. Also when dealing with the Kubota dealer, do they discount the machines? Say like a car where there might be $3000 in mark up. Just wondering cause I am ready to make a move shortly.

2. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

I just recently traded a B7500 that I had for three years for a L2800 and it has been a great machine for what I do with it and the only reason I didn't go with the L3400 is that I only needed a little more power and lift capacity and dump height for my dump trailer.
    The L3400 is a great machine and the only thing I would have you check is the position control to make sure it operates smoothly, there seems to be several L2800 and L3400 that are jerky, it maybe a bad batch of valves or something, I don't know yet.
    My dealer as well as others are looking into this. Other than the position control thing I like my machine and the BH75 backhoe works great.
    I can do twice the work of the B7500 I had.

Good luck on getting a discount but every dealer is different.

3. handyman

handyman LawnSite Member

I've had my L3400 for over a year now and just turned 200 hrs. It has industrial tires, Kubota 60" FEL, Rhino 60" box blade and Rhino 60" finish mower. It has performed flawlessly. I cleared 2 acres this winter digging out tree stumps and roots. I am very pleased with it.
    I regret not getting a rear hyd. outlet installed to use for aux. cylinder. Also, be sure to get adjustable 3 point arms installed to make it easier to hook-up equip.

4. handyman

handyman LawnSite Member

I've had my L3400 for over a year now and just turned 200 hrs. It has industrial tires, Kubota 60" FEL, Rhino 60" box blade and Rhino 60" finish mower. It has performed flawlessly for me. I cleared 2 acres this winter pushing over 8" trees, digging out tree stumps, roots and rocks. I am very pleased with it!
    I regret not getting a rear hyd. outlet installed to use for aux. cylinder. Also, be sure to get adjustable 3 point arms installed to make it easier to hook-up equip. I hope to add a backhoe as I am able.
    I've used larger Ford, JD and AC tractors and there are times I wish i had a larger tractor and times I wish it were smaller, but overall it has out-performed my expectations. Be sure to get prices from at least 3 different dealers as pricing does vary, but none sell at or above retail. My dealer is close, 10 miles, and is extremely helpful. You will not regret owning a Kubota!

5. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I will be getting my L3400 this week. I found a dealer who was good with pricing even though he was 2.5 hrs away. I also got the backhoe. I am gonna find out how much for aux. hook up. What kind of attachments is that used for?

6. handyman

handyman LawnSite Member

Be sure to get the adjustable (telescopic) 3 pt. hitch arms. Makes it so much easier to hook up equipment. Also, make sure the rear tires are loaded (filled). The extra weight is a must for traction and stability. Most dealers do it but doesn't hurt to ask!
    The standard 3 pt. hitch allows you to lower, raise and position equipment height but relies on gravity (the weight of the implement) to lower it. A remote hyd. allows you to operate another hyd. cylinder which will allow you to apply down pressure (very handy) or you may use it to operate another function such as the fold-up wings on bat wing mowers, transport wheels, or a wood splitter, etc. You will probably already have one or maybe two installed since you are getting the backhoe attachment.
    How much do you plan on charging for your work? I am about ready to go at it full time with the tractor now that she's broke in. Good Luck! David

7. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

If you just plan on only having the BH then your rear hyd connections will be two hyd hoses (press and return) that plug into the BH.
    If you get rear remote hyd valve, that will be a valve mounted to the rear somewhere so you can use hyd actuated implements.
    Ask your dealer for what they can install.
    A top and tilt actuator setup on a rear grader blade is good for crowning roads and grading roads.

8. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thanks for the great advice. I am gonna call the dealer today and find out about those things. I defiantely want to be able to run hyd actuated implements so that will be helpfull. As for charging for work It will vary I guess for what what I'm doing but I'll probably be around $50 hr. Do any of you guys have a mower on your tractor? What size and what is the productivity (ie. 3 acre per hr)? What other attachments do you have and how do they work? I'm trying to get an idea of what will make money with this machine and what works best.

9. handyman

handyman LawnSite Member

I'm using a 3 pt. 60" Rhino 3 spindle, rear discharge finish mower. It does a nice job with sharp blades (of course). I mow a 1 acre property with a house and many trees and a ditch bank in about 35 mins. I'll have to time myself next time to be sure. I mow my 2 acre field in about an hour as it is flat and wide open. Probably could go faster.