Kubota L39 Interest

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by cddva, Dec 5, 2006.

1. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

L39/48 owner's - how do you like them and what type of work do you do with them? Anything to "watch out" for when buying or using? I'm considering buying a new L39 for part-time work (one man operation trying to offer a variety of services). I like the versatility it would seem to offer and the weight is right for my trailer/truck combo (10k# trailer, 2500hd duramax). I know it can't work in as tight an area as a skid steer but I don't see that being a big drawback. Thanks for any feedback/advice you can offer.

2. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

good machine I have a friend that owns one, we chose to go with the excavator, but if we wanted a smaller machine it would be one of those two or john deere's small backhoe. It has some extra features you should look in to. both brands are excellent machines.

3. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i'll second the JD 110. it has a feature that allows you to creep forward from the backhoe position. on a long trech switching back and forth to reposition would get old. otherwise the kubota is a nice tractor.

4. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

I have the L 48 and wouldn't trade it off for anything,. I bought mine with the mechanical quick attach hoe buckets, and it is the best option I ever got. About 30 seconds to drop a bucket and less than a minute to swap to another one.... Tough machine... I passed on the 110 Deere for two reasons, the first being they had troubles with the transmissions, which by now I am sure is fixed,, and the other is the Deere is wide open under neath,. You buy an outsourced skid plate or take your chances on losing the hydraulic lines which are low and loose under the 110.

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Lots of kubota info of all kinds at www. tractorbynet.com

6. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

To All - Thanks for the feedback!

7. markoming

markoming LawnSite Member

I was at an auction today and got one great deal on a L48 Kubota loader/backhoe. I'll pass the deal along. The machine has just over 500 hrs. works like new. Sell price: $21,500: The machine is in cookeville tn, contact # 931-498-4819

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Great deal! Change all filters and fluids & start fresh. What you have there is a nice machine thats just broken in.

9. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

I'm going ahead with the L39 purchase. The dealer is in the process of outfitting the backhoe with a QA and hyd. thumb. I'm also adding a 4n1 bucket on the QA loader. I have no backhoe/mini-ex experience to my credit but I want to break into the excavation area and feel this will be a good machine for that while still offering versatility to do other work/tasks.

Start2finish - I have someone I work with who wants to install a pool in the Spring. He is asking if I would be able to do the excavation. He's looking at a 16'x32' liner pool probably only 5' deep. I was looking at your posts on installing a similar pool and understand the excavation needs to be dead-on. Obviously, I would need to start getting alot of practice digging. I've told him I have no experience digging pools but would like to gain some experience. He is talking to a company that supplies the pool kit, plans and a "foreman" to come out and direct the installation. So, my question is would the L39 be up to the task of digging this size pool without having to go to extraordinary lengths to "make it work"? I know a KX-161 or Case 580 would be the ideal machines but I don't own either one (for now ;) ). I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject. Others can feel free to chime in too.

10. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

we used our kx-161 on a similar project, it handled the task with no problem, the only difficulty I see is the limited reach of the backhoe L39. as for the ability of digging a hole I do not doubt it at all. I have run that machine on numerous occasions, but if the pool has a diving "hopper" it will be hard to reach the bottom. there is also a steep slope in transition from wading area to hopper. You will definately need to plan your dig because you will not be able to get back to the deep end after you move out of it. my machine has 20.5 foot of reach at ground level, which shrinks drastically with any hoe as you get deeper, this reach was ample but I felt I needed all of it.

Also you need to make certain that you have absolutely no over dig on depth of pool. This material would be very difficult to replace should you gouge out deeper than the intended depth. we are talking about < 3/4 inch tolerance.

after reading your post again I see that he it talking about a 5 foot deep pool. the actual dig should be ok, but you will have a hard time getting rid of the dirt without moving it a few times. We loaded a truck with the dig right out of the hole. 360 with the excavator. You will figure it out.