Kubota L48 TLB or JD 110?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by bcx400, Sep 16, 2004.

1. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am considering purchasing a tractor with a backhoe that will accept many other attachments. I have narrowed the field to The Kubota L48 and the John Deere 110. Both have skid-steer quick attach front plates and dedicated hydraulics for the backhoe. Does any one have any experience in using these models? I would appreciate hearing the pros and cons from any owners.

Thanks!

2. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

I sat on a Kubota L48 today, and spent over an hour with the salesman who walked me through the design and operation (I have no tractor experience, and am looking for my first toy). Very nice machine! Was quoted a price of $39,500 with the loader and backhoe. Does that sound about right to you?

3. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

I finally picked up an L48 that I ordered 6 weeks ago.. The only reason for the wait, we had a scheduled trip throughout Florida to complete, so the dealer hung onto the machine until we could both connect. Got the L 498, work lights, stabilzer pads, third valve, skid steer front end, 7.5ft Diamond power angle plow, 72" HD bucket, mechanical quick attach for hoe with 12 and 24 inch hoe buckets..

4. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I bought the Kubota L48 this week; it is a great machine. I got mine with the skid steer-style quick-connect loader bucket, backhoe, 72" brushhog, and pallet forks.
    After checking out the John Deere 110, I realized the Kubota beat the JD in all lifting specs as well as engine and hydraulic power (and they are both priced similarly).

hey lamarbur- do you know if the standard backhoe can be converted to mechanical quick attach? Mine has 2 pins that hold the backhoe bucket in place (like a standard backhoe). I would like to be able to quickly change buckets.

5. Ursushorribilus

I filled out the paperwork to finance the L48 I looked at the other day. I'll find out Monday or Tuesday whether it will fly. If it doesn't I very well may just drop 40 grand in cash on his desk. For around the same money I could get the Terex TLB I looked at that's twice the size and power, but for light landscaping applications I think the L48 is a better choice, in addition to the fact that the L48 has the HST transmission that I want.

Question: I want a hydraulic posthole digger attachment - the dealer told me he recommends one run from the bucket...what do you think?

6. Ursushorribilus

I went to the Deerfield Fair today and found myself in tractor heaven! Drooled for hours over tractors, loaders, excavators, tracked machines and skid steers and all manner of heavy equipment that made my heart long with envy and desire

While looking at the John Deere 110 TLB, a salesman started his pitch and I agreed that it was a nice machine, and told him that I had been deciding between it and the Kubota L48. The salesman started dumping all over the L48, behavior that I sort of expect from salesman when talking of rivals, but he kept at it and told me that Kubota manipulates their numbers in regards to hp and capacities and such, and that the 110 really could outperform the L48 in pretty much any way - something about hydraulic hp and the fact that Kubota doesn't mention it with the L48 because the 110 is so much superior.

I don't have a mechanical background, so all I could do was listen silently. Anyone want to weigh in and dispute or agree with this JD hawker?

7. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I know a fellow landscaper who uses an L48 and a hydraulic-driven auger (from the front mount). According to his experience, the pto-driven auger does not have nearly as much power and torque as the hydraulic-driven auger. I do seem to remember a pretty steep price for the hydraulic auger, $7 or 8k with 2 bits, including the front hydraulic kit.

In regards to your experience with the JD salesman... I have demoed and priced equipment from John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, and Bobcat. All the salesman trash-talk their competition. I never rely on what the salesman tells me. You really do need to do your own research when spending money on any equipment.
    Check out all the specs on the JD 110 vs. the Kubota L48, and demo each for a day. I would still take the Kubota L48 over the JD 110.

8. Ursushorribilus

Thanks bcx400, you said pretty much what lamarbur told me, he's run both machines as you have, and sounds a whole lot more experienced than the salemen. I'm test driving both machines in the next week, even though I've already filled out the paperwork to finance the L48. I'm pretty sure my test drives will reaffirm my original decision to go with the L48, a decision that's based on the last several months of living and breathing tractor research and specs. The JD guy screwed me up a little when he told me specs didn't mean much and were manipulations and lies. Me being the new guy on the tractor block that I am, I panicked a bit when he pretty much told me my research was all for nothing. I will admit, as everyone has said over and over, I should have done some test drives instead of relying solely on printed stats and advertising - a lesson learned. I guess the reason I didn't is because I'm so inexperienced I wasn't sure if I would know what to look for in a test drive, other than the purely subjective opinion of whether I liked the look of the machine or the comfort, fit, and finish. But yes, I am learning...

I like the idea of a hydraulic auger, shame they're so expensive, but if my financing goes I might grab one, even if I have to drop the cash. If my financing doesn't go, I'm more than likely gonna drop a load of cash on the dealer's desk. Hopefully, if that's the case, he'll drop his price a bit. Tony

9. Ursushorribilus

Well, I've decided to go with the L48. I have a couple of local dealers pitching numbers at me, so I'll see this week or next who'll give me the best deal, including implements. I'm looking for a hydraulic thumb and hydraulic hammer on the BH, and a hydraulic posthole digger on the FEL. I also want a box blade.

Question for L48 owners: I talked with a landscaper at the Fryeburg Fair today up in Maine, and he told me he didn't get a machine the size of the L48 because he didn't think it would lift a pallet of stone off the back of a flatbed (about 3000 lbs.) I know the FEL specs on the L48 are 3000 lbs. at the pivot pins and about 2500 lbs. 24 inches back. Does anyone know if the L48 can or cannot lift 3000 lbs. off the back of a truck...Tony

10. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

ursushorribilus- I can now tell you that the L48 will be able to unload a 3000 lb. pallet off a truck. Today I unloaded two pallets of pavers weighing 3475 lbs each. I wouldn't do this a lot though... my machine would not lift the pavers up, rather, I put the forks into the pallet, and was able to curl the loader arm back enough to get the pallet off the deck of the truck. I also had to extend the backhoe out for counter balance. I would imagine 3000 lbs would be a bit easier.