1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota life

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rockytopp, Nov 16, 2004.

1. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

Hey gang..
    Does any one know the life or approximate hour time a kubota diesel will last? I realize this is a wild question, however given nomal care and no hour meter on this old unit, I was wondering. I am not that familar with the longevity of these little three cyl. engines or there ability to run year after year with hard work.this unit I just got needs a valve job and I have the head in the shop now. just would like to know how the rings hold up after a valve job or it they start sucking oil as with a gasser. Probaly better to go ahead and major it but I do not have the lifetime maintenance of it ,,, But I do know it has some long hard time on it, and some very rough ones all so. guess I know the answer but always like to hear other opinions. thanks.
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I've heard of Kubota diesels that have 11,000 hours on them and are still running fine. There's no way to tell on your unit though. I would suggest that you go ahead and rebuild the engine and then put an hour meter on it to keep track of run time so maintenance can be done at the correct times.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I bought a used Grasshopper, with a 21hp Kubota diesel, to use as a backup machine. The machine was really beat up, and it was obvious that little to no regular maintenance had been done. The hour meter showed 3000hrs when I bought it, and the diesel purred like a kitten, with no oil consumption.
    I put another 1000hrs on it with no problems. I would say, based on that experience, that with good maintenance, you should get many thousands of hours out of a Kubota diesel. A kubota dealer once told me 7000hrs was easily possible.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You would probably were out the equipment long before the motor.
  5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

We've had some in light towers and generators that went over 16,000 hrs. Will you get that much from a farm tractor or mower, probably not. Not a clean enviroment. Dirt kills, as does repeated cold starts. But they are an awesome lil engine. If the mower wears out, pull the engine, rebuild it and sell it for a nice lil profit.