Kubota Mini Ex?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by thepawnshop, Mar 6, 2006.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

OK, today I got a quote from JD on a 50D and the closest Kubota dealer on a KX161-3R4AS. Here are the specs on what they were pricing:

Mini Excavator
    Hydraulic Thumb
    Quick Attach Coupler
    12" Bucket
    24" Bucket
    36" Bucket
    Angle Blade*
    Cab with Air
    Delivered

*John Deere does not offer angling blade

The Deere is coming in at $59,500 and the Kubota is coming in at $55,500. The only variable not mentioned is that teh JD dealer is offering to buy my 35D (2005 model which only has 275 hours) for 30k, which would make things easy for me.

When comparing machines, it seems the Kubota isn't even in the same class. Some of the things to keep in mind regarding the Kubota:

• Has the Auxilary Hydraulic controls on the joystick
    • Has the angle balde
    • Weighs 1500lbs more
    • Offers up to a foot more digging reach
    • 4k Less
    • Will not buy my machine

John Deere:
    • Salesman is a buddy
    • Will buy my Mini
    • Known Excellent support

I just have no experience with Kubota...I know Squizz uses one and I trust his opinion. In fact, I trust everyone on here's opinion, mainly becuase you all use these machines day in and day out.

I am expecting a price from Cat on a 305 C CR, but he has already informed me that he is going to be "a good bit more" than the JD 50D. PLease folks, let me know your opinions!

2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I Got a price on a C305CR...PM me and I'll send you the info...I'm looking at a C304CR vs Takeuchi TB53FR...the old 304 was no match..if the new one isn't I would like to wait until the new 53 comes out with a/c...(60 days) maybe....but it was a digging machine....

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The John Deere is just a little light weight I know you have good relations with the Deere dealer etc. I usually don't promote Komatsu but I would seriously look at the PC-50 its heavier than the Deere.

I'am not impressed with the Yanmar engine Deere uses they are a expensive engine to repair and not known to be quiet. Yanmars are used for marine engines they are good but man are they pricey thats for the non marinized parts the marinized parts are even more :eek:

Its your choice but my feeling is the 50D is going to be very borderline for what you want to-do. For the money wise I would be looking for a low hour meter Zaxis 80 atleast if you do start another subdivision the machine will be big enough to-do most work.

I have been around excavators and heavy equipment since I was able to walk in this community being resource based you are born with levers in your hands :laugh:

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with Gravel Rat, I'd say a used Zaxis 80, Deere 80, or Cat 307/308 would be a good plan. You could get something for about $65-70K with reasonable hours. But, given your dilema, here's my .02.

I would go down to your Kubota dealer and see what kind of operation they are running down there. Talk extensively with the sales guy and let him know your concerns with switching brands, etc. If things don't go well, there's no reason to even consider the Kubota, we've established the fact that service comes before a "better" machine. However, I do feel the Kubota is the best machine for you. It offers some nice options, is slightly cheaper, and is a heavier machine which is really what you need. Overall, it is the best machine for your operation but only if the dealer support is all that it should be. That's where I would start. Equipment shopping is easy for us, I've already had a pissing match with the Deere dealer so I go straight to Cat no questions :)

5. thepawnshop

You see Scag, that is where the problem lies for me...I am "buddies" with my JD dealer, my father in law who used to run a very large equipment biz trained the GM of the local JD office and I feel bad just for shopping machines. I will definately make a trip down to see the Kubota guy and I am still waiting for the quote from the Cat dealer. Even if the cat was a few grand more, I think I would go that route instead of the Kubota just based on name recognition. I really wish the 50D was a perfect fit...

As far as a used 80...not a bad idea, but I think a 6 ton machine will do me fine for the time being...it's small enough for me to move with my 3500, yet big enough to do most anything I can throw at it short of developing a whole subdivision. Man, I hope that Cat doesnt come in in the mid 65k range....

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Think of it this way, you'll buy a 6 ton machine now, and then the next step up will be a 12 ton machine instead of spending more money now on an 8 ton and then replacing it later with a 12 ton, if that makes any sense to you. I'd rather have a brand new $60K 6 ton machine and a brand new $130K 12 ton machine vs. a $70K 8 ton machine with 2000+ hours and a new $130K 12 ton machine. Your versatility ranges are covered alot more with a 6 ton and a 12 ton. Wow, too many numbers. I better get used to them, I'm taking accounting next quarter. ;)

So Doug, when you gonna fly me out there for the summer so I can have a job?

7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Aren't you helping the old man this year????

8. thepawnshop

Scag, I agree with your numbers...and in the end, your argument is the one that I have played over and over in my head. I think I over analyze any and every "large" purchase. I think I made a mistake last year when I bought the 35D...I absolutely LOVE the machine, but I always wished I had purchased a larger one. So...I hope to have a decision made before the week is out. Of course, it will depend on me selling the one I have.

As for having you come out and run my equipment....I would LOVE that...but...I really rather play than pay, whenever possible, know what I mean?

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

It's up in the air right now, I might stay in the Seattle area and get a job working over here, IF and only if I find the right job. I don't want to be stuck in a metropolis unless I'm getting paid good money to stay here during the summers because I can go back home, not pay for 3 months of rent, not have to worry about food because I'll be living at home or gas costs because I'll have a company truck working for my dad.

I know what you're saying Doug, same reason we don't pay anyone to operate our machines. Although dad doesn't enjoy running them, he does when I'm not around. We'll see what happens this summer, if I can get a summer job running equipment for someone and get upwards of $12.00 an hour I'll stay here in Seattle. If not, I get to deal with the old man.

You know, if you get that subdivision, you're going to have 2 machines. I'll take either of which, preferably the 12 ton machine :D

10. thepawnshop

Scag, I would love to have you around! I pay qualified operators $20 an hour (as a 1099 subcontractor) when I can't run the equipment, but I have to be honest...I sincerely LOVE playing in the dirt. I put my ipod on and don't have a care in the world. Man, there is no business like the excavating business...