Kubota missing grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ddckk, May 19, 2005.

1. ddckk

ddckk LawnSite Member

I bought a a ZG 20 and I have had it at the dealer 3 times , they keep doing different things to get it to cut better byt after 3 different times it still misses grass , 1 they put a baffle on it , 2 they sped the motor rpms from 3300 or so to about 3500 or so , 3 they took the engine rpms to 3800 it still misses grass , anyone know if there is anything they are missing , and they checked the deck levelness also , thank you .

2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

try to sharpen the blades?

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I am usually able to help out with this when your dealer can't.

Tell me about the missing....

What is it missing? (Weeds/Grass/stems/wide blades/whispy blades)
    Where in the cut is it missing?
    When is it missing?
    What seems to make it better and worse?

I'll be back to help later tonight.
    But rest assured there IS something wrong with your mower.
    Don't let them bluff you into believing otherwise.
    That deck cuts extremely clean when right....

4. ddckk

ddckk LawnSite Member

They also sharpened the blades , it only has 13.5 hours on it , it misiss different things , and it does it in different places in the deck , at first I thought it was the tip speed butt they told me it should be around 17500 or 18000 , does anyone know how to check the blade speed , thank you.

5. ddckk

ddckk LawnSite Member

It leaves twigs and patches , in any kind of grass , it is worse the taller the grass is and if you go slow like walking speed it does great but thats not why I bought a commercial ztr , my 36 inch walkbehind has a blade speed of 17500 and it does good even in taller grass , it leaves more in yards with weeds , my yard is fescue and it leaves some but not as much , I would say it leaves about a twig or patch of grass every 10 to 20 feet , thank you.

6. grass disaster

how about you answer envy's questions!!!! you might get your answer. quit dancing around. it sounds like this guy knows what he's talking about.

7. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

did you try different blades that mite make the difference

8. grass disaster

never mind your too quick for me

9. ddckk

ddckk LawnSite Member

I thought about the blades but have not yet tried them , the dealer tells me it has about the highest lift blades there is , thank you .

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The ZG20 is a heavy duty residential mower, not a commercial unit. But it should still cut good. I think the blade speed on the ZGs is about 14,000 fpm. The speed up gear kit for the ZDs may work if they use the same gear box on the deck. It will really make a difference it it has the lower blade speed.