1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota or Ferris z's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsaunders, Mar 13, 2003.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking into getting a new Z and wanted to get your views on the 2 mowers.

Kubota 28hp diesel with 61" fab. deck $11,000 with 0% fin. for 3 yrs

Ferris 25 Kaw. with 61'' fab. deck with 4 wheel independent suspension around $8500 with 8% fin. or there's an up grade for the ferris to a 27 hp Kohler also with a better seat

I will have to demo the mowers but it is still hard with 2.5 feet of snow on the ground. I'm looking for a mower that will last a long time. How do the gas engines compair to the diesel? The kubota weighs about 1600 lbs while the ferris weighs around 1200lbs. What would you chose or suggest? I run ferris w/b right now but looking at other brands. Thankyou Joel
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing the Kubota has (in this instance) is the diesel over a gas engine. Other than that, there is no comparison. We have been running Ferris's for the past 9 years (and around 15 or so machines). I think they are great machines. The IS units are so confortable you can not believe it. You won't even want to demo the Kubota after running the Ferris.

BTW, we have a IS3000.
  3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

rodfather - Have you ever run a Kubota? - I notice you are comparing Ferris and Kubota - do you have experience on both?

You are right - the Diesel is well worth the price difference - and I would recommend you demo both - I bet the mowing quality is basically the same - I will not comment on Ferris as I have never been on one, but the Kubota's I have seen around here look very substantial as far a quality.

Thanks, Brad
  4. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

My concern would be the suspension system. When a front tire hits a hole or,hangs over a curb, would the deck stay suspended or fall with it, causing a frisbee ring in the turf???
  5. BaltLawns

BaltLawns LawnSite Member

Yes, the Ferris is a quality mower. With the 8% financing you will end up paying close to the price of the Kubota. Look at it this way, you will spend close to 11K on either, why not get the mower that has the 11K price tag. Even if you are planning not to run the full finance term, the Bota is still worth it. When that gas motor craps out at 2500-3000 hrs. The diesel will keep on going and sound the same as the day you bought it. Consider the costly repair of hydraulic pumps and wheel motors. One side can set you back a cool 1200.00 bucks. Keep in mind thats replacement not, rebuilding. The kubota hydro system can be entirely rebuilt for the same price. Just ask the guys who have been mowing for a while, back before the Lazer was even a dream. The Kubota was out working and some of those dinosaurs still are today. Not to mention the new ZD's only have one belt to worry about. Now this all sounds one sided, but I do own a ferris IS, personaly i don't think the suspension is all that its cracked up to be. We compared the Is to our lazer with a suspension seat and most of the guys prefered the lazer. Ferris does have an excellent warranty and parts availability. So if thats one of your concerns, don't worry. I can not say the same for Kubota. Our new ZD28 will be here in two weeks. We try to give every Z a shot, the one we like, we keep. Our competitors pick up the rest. The kubota will be in it for the long haul.
  6. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

As a ferris owner it is a big difference with the suspension. I have tried both of them. The ferris you don't get all th jolts. Also i am not quite pleased how the front end of the kubota it is just like a riding lawn mower the front end twists which in turn could drop the mower deck down for an inconsistent cut. Now on the other hand ferris designed there mowers like cars with independent suspension. And CBB don't worry about the deck dropping many think this but it doesn't't the deck is held up by the front and rear control arms. And the difference for diesel to gas is you need to figure out what you want by out weighing the pros and cons. My personal feelings is what are you pulling with it that you need a diesel (nothin). Diesel motors are so much more up keep than gas and so much more to repair. So what is the real need for diesel, is it going to cut longer grass better No it wont due to belt slippage, belts can only handle so much torque. And if i remember correctly on the kubota you might have a drive shaft to the deck but then it drives the belts which applies to what we just covered.
  7. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

Oh also about the finance charges dont finance through them for 8% thats a horable intrest charge. Go with YARD CARD 0% for 12 months
  8. Kubota 28hp diesel with 61" fab. deck $11,000 with 0% fin. for 3 yrs

Very nice engine but it is still alot of money for that ztr.There have been some problems with there deck in the past.

Ferris 25 Kaw. with 61'' fab. deck with 4 wheel independent suspension around $8500

You are proably looking at the ferris is3000 which I have also.It is built to last a lifetime.Ferris is 1 of the top five ztr in the market today.

Diesels are nice but you really save no money in the long run with diesel.First the cost,then parts and price of diesel gas.And by the time the kaw or kohler is worn out .You are ready for a new one anyways.Now on tractors I would go with diesel because of power but not ztr's
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Quote from LawnsUR us

"Diesel motors are so much more up keep than gas and so much more to repair. So what is the real need for diesel,"

LawnsUR us - You have no clue as to how easy diesels are to take care of compared to gas.

1. They have about 2 to 3 times the oil capacity, and only require oil changes about every 150 hrs.

2. They have no spark plugs to change - injectors on a diesel normally run about 3000 hrs and cost slightly more than a spark plug.

3. If you keep clean air and clean oil going to a diesel you are looking at about 12,000 hrs running time

4. The BEST DEAL is a diesel will use 1/2 the amount of fuel if you compare equall HP engines (ie. a 16HP gas will use about 1 gal per hr. and a 16HP Yanmar diesel 3 cylinder will use 1/2 gal per hr.

Thanks, Brad
  10. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

Sorry Brad for any misunderstanding into the regards of diesel but what the he!! is a measly spark plug and oil. I was pertaining more toward repairs. Also they take 2-3 times the amount of oil so how would that make it cheaper to run but oh i forgot they get about 150 hrs to an oil change. Well on a gas motor you would change it every 50 hrs so that would make it the same since it takes 3times the amount of oil. Something else to think about is the fact that I can rebuild the carb on my mower myself for about $25 bucks, I can't do that on my diesel and those repairs are not cheap. And flex deck my answer for discussion was not on fuel economy.

And for the starter of this thread also remember the weight of both mowers. You want to tread as lightly as possible.