1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota or Gravely Commercial???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnamus, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Lawnamus

Lawnamus LawnSite Member

Just wanted some feedback. I've got 3 Ex-mark's ('99,01,04) and have become very unhappy with the make of the product ---gotten cheaper by the year. Got in a jam and bought 2 Z-Two's from Lesco...figured I would give them a chance...they are close to shop, and I was tired of driving to BFE to get parts.

Needless to say, I now need to make a decision of buying a Kubota 54" (diesel or gas) or a Gravely commercial 52" of 2006... The price difference is $4000. While I do not mind paying up front for the long term durability, I was just wondering if its worth the 4K.

I have heard that the Gravely's blow spindles often, however; the servicing dealer is outstanding. Engines are neglible at this point because I am more concerned about the build of the unit and again its durability. I don't even get to the engine durability stage with the crap that I have bought lately.

One side note, I talked to the Kubota dealer and he said if fI buy one its $10,100. I said what about 2 units and he said $9500 each.

All opinions and insights welcome and thanks in advance.
  2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I owned a 2002 250Z Gravely, put about 800 hours on it, and was extremely well satisfied. I sold it to one of my best friends (which I wouldn't have done, if I had any doubts about the mower) a couple of weeks ago, and bought a new 260XDZ, and am quite pleased with it also.

I also have a great Gravely dealer, and lots of the LCO's around here run them.

As for the spindles, I asked their mechanic about that a while back, and he told me they often last for 1000's of hours. I'm sure there are exceptions, like with anything mechanical, but he told of one mower they sold years ago, and had over 1000 hours on it when the guy traded it in. They sold it to a homeowner with a huge yard, and the mechanic said the thing is still running, but the anti-scalp wheels were worn clear off of it, but it has only had to have one spindle replaced.

If you are thinking of Gravely, if they happen to have one with the hydraulic deck lift, buy it. I love mine, and would never buy a mower without it.
  3. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

Are you looking at a 152 or a 252?? Anyway if you have a choice get a new 2006 model. The 2007 are built with some lower cost parts to help their bottom line. Also if you can get the XDZ model in a 2006 get that while you can. The 2006 XDZ has heavy duty built wheel motors compaired to the 2007 XDZ. Ther is a very big difference in to non XDZ 252, 260 between 2006 & 2007. It looks like you are needing two machines anyway...so maybe one of each: Gravely and Kubota. The Kubota dealer most likely will sell you one for the $9,500.00 price if you tell him you are only going to try one for now and that is all you are willing to pay for it. Tell them for $10,000.00 other machines just look even better. Good luck!!
  4. mrbobian

mrbobian LawnSite Member

From what i have seen of the mowers Gravley looks a bit more up to the job!
  5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I always seem to go the other way- Kubota. the gravely dealer here is no good, and hardly anyone runs them. the last gravely I ran was a hard ride compared to the kubota. my brother is on his 3rd kubota, all still run and his first 2 went over 3000 hours with no spindles, belts, transmission, or engine problems. only a few electrical isues and maintenance. the 3rd is the same so far at 500 hours. the diesel is a no brainer. run the numbers, you can buy the whole diesel rig in fuel savings alone while owning it for 2000-2500 hours.
  6. Lawnamus

Lawnamus LawnSite Member

I really appreciate all the input. I hope this helps out someone else as well. Keep it coming. Excellent feedback.