1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kubota or Gravely Commercial???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnamus, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Lawnamus

Lawnamus LawnSite Member

Just wanted some feedback. I've got 3 Ex-mark's ('99,01,04) and have become very unhappy with the make of the product ---gotten cheaper by the year. Got in a jam and bought 2 Z-Two's from Lesco...figured I would give them a chance...they are close to shop, and I was tired of driving to BFE to get parts.

Needless to say, I now need to make a decision of buying a Kubota 54" (diesel or gas) or a Gravely commercial 52" of 2006... The price difference is $4000. While I do not mind paying up front for the long term durability, I was just wondering if its worth the 4K.

I have heard that the Gravely's blow spindles often, however; the servicing dealer is outstanding. Engines are neglible at this point because I am more concerned about the build of the unit and again its durability. I don't even get to the engine durability stage with the crap that I have bought lately.

One side note, I talked to the Kubota dealer and he said if fI buy one its $10,100. I said what about 2 units and he said $9500 each.

All opinions and insights welcome and thanks in advance.

2. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

If you are happy with the dealer of Kubota go with Kubota. Go Diesel and you should be happy.

3. puddin' pie

puddin' pie LawnSite Member

i own three gravelys love them, all have xl spindles never had a problem

4. kpc007

kpc007 LawnSite Member

I just bought the Kubota ZD326P and man is this thing a grass eating machine. I have some 30 degree slopes with 4 ft field grass and it went through it like a hot knife through butter. I ran it at half throttle for a breakin. Actually, the breakin period is more for me than the machine...:rolleyes: . Not used to that much power cuttin grass. This machine is impressive.

I had demos of Exmark, Grasshopper, and Scag, at my property, but they can't hold a candle to this heavyweight (almost 1800 lbs) for sticking power, quality of cut, and raw guts. One pass through that hilly field sold me. Get a demo. You will be surprised!!

5. Fatheroftwo

Fatheroftwo LawnSite Member

I've got a ZD 28/60 with 800 or so hours. Great cut, very strong. One problem---fuel pumps. Otherwise I'd buy the Kubota, if it can stand what my employees put it thru it can stand anything. :usflag:

6. kpc007

kpc007 LawnSite Member

You had to replace the fuel pump? Is it costly?