1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota or Gravely Commercial???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lawnamus, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Lawnamus

Lawnamus LawnSite Member

Just wanted some feedback. I've got 3 Ex-mark's ('99,01,04) and have become very unhappy with the make of the product ---gotten cheaper by the year. Got in a jam and bought 2 Z-Two's from Lesco...figured I would give them a chance...they are close to shop, and I was tired of driving to BFE to get parts.

Needless to say, I now need to make a decision of buying a Kubota 54" (diesel or gas) or a Gravely commercial 52" of 2006... The price difference is $4000. While I do not mind paying up front for the long term durability, I was just wondering if its worth the 4K.

I have heard that the Gravely's blow spindles often, however; the servicing dealer is outstanding. Engines are neglible at this point because I am more concerned about the build of the unit and again its durability. I don't even get to the engine durability stage with the crap that I have bought lately.

One side note, I talked to the Kubota dealer and he said if fI buy one its $10,100. I said what about 2 units and he said $9500 each.

All opinions and insights welcome and thanks in advance.
  2. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

I have two Kubotas and IMO you can't beat the diesel engines. I have almost 3000 hrs on one of them and its running as strong as ever. I know some don't like the cut of the kubota and I have to agree but I keep my blades sharp and don't really have those complaints. What ever you get I will always go with the diesel. Gas engines seem to get tired around the 2000hr mark. Diesel also gets better mpg. When using gas I was burning about 5g a day per unit as compared to diesel its about 3.5 a day.
  3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Of those two , I would go with Kubota .