1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota or Gravely Commercial???

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Lawnamus, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Lawnamus

Lawnamus LawnSite Member

Just wanted some feedback. I've got 3 Ex-mark's ('99,01,04) and have become very unhappy with the make of the product ---gotten cheaper by the year. Got in a jam and bought 2 Z-Two's from Lesco...figured I would give them a chance...they are close to shop, and I was tired of driving to BFE to get parts.

Needless to say, I now need to make a decision of buying a Kubota 54" (diesel or gas) or a Gravely commercial 52" of 2006... The price difference is $4000. While I do not mind paying up front for the long term durability, I was just wondering if its worth the 4K.

I have heard that the Gravely's blow spindles often, however; the servicing dealer is outstanding. Engines are neglible at this point because I am more concerned about the build of the unit and again its durability. I don't even get to the engine durability stage with the crap that I have bought lately.

One side note, I talked to the Kubota dealer and he said if fI buy one its $10,100. I said what about 2 units and he said $9500 each.

All opinions and insights welcome and thanks in advance.
  2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's the Gravely 252 then it's a great machine, the smaller 152 is ok but I like the tougher 252 w/ a bigger frame, pumps, & motors. Kubota's are nice machines but there is no way I'd spend an extra $4K. Gravely's are the most popular Z's here and after buying my first one, they are all I will ever buy from now on.
  3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Kubota quality is the best there is in the cut market, you need to research their mowers a little more & get the facts. I cant say their ztr's are great as i dont know, however they, dont build anything thats junk, and their diesels are a proven engine.
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Both have their share of problems. Just search this site for Zd 18's and 21's with tranny problems if you're thinking of buying a Kubota. As far as Gravelys go, I had one for 10 years, had nothing but problems with all of it. Used 3 different dealers, got nothing but excuses from all of 'em. Since I got my Dixie Chopper, all that changed. Just my 2 cents!:waving: :waving:
  5. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Kubota 331.

6. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

In 07 Kubota did a complete upgrade on there tranmissions so if you are looking at a new one don't be concerned about the older pre 07 tranny problems. I have a 07 331 kubota that has been trouble free except for a couple of wires coming out of their connectors it now has about 215 hrs on
    it. I am also very interested in the gravely product since I just found out today that we will have a new dealer very close to me (about 10 minutes) compared to my kubota dealer about an hour.
  7. mchildress

mchildress LawnSite Member

07 Kubota zd 326 and no problems.
  8. pro-mow

pro-mow LawnSite Member
    from n.c.

:walking: Love my kubota zd pro and the money saved on gas makes up for the extra price the diesel is great on fuel uses have the gas