Kubota or John Deere

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by superintendent, Oct 3, 2011.

1. hmgbird

hmgbird LawnSite Member

I mow about 8 hours per week on fairly rough areas, bush hog about an hour a week, and use the frontloader for moving stones, log sections, dirt etc. I have about half a mile of driveways to plow, and a similar amount of trails in the woods to keep clear.

Both the JD and the Kubota are capable of doing these jobs with ease.
  2. smitty's lawncare

smitty's lawncare LawnSite Member

if it were me, i would get the jd
  3. hmgbird

hmgbird LawnSite Member

Well, the dealer is taking back the Kubota and has ordered a JD to replace it. That's the way things work out here in rural Virginia. So now I just wait.
  4. LawnCareNoobie

LawnCareNoobie LawnSite Senior Member

I think you'll like the 2720 I have a couple at my job. Although we don't have loaders for them (use them for mowing and snowblowing) they have always started up and done the job. Are you getting one with a cab? It's very nice inside of those and I have felt comfortable inside even in the worst of weather.
  5. hmgbird

hmgbird LawnSite Member

No, no cab. I don't do much in cold weather other than the very occasional snow-plowing here in the mild-wintered Shenandoah valley. And I ordered a 2520, as its 26 hp ought to be sufficient. I had 21 hp on the 855 and never lacked for power.
  6. LawnCareNoobie

LawnCareNoobie LawnSite Senior Member

I see, I though you said 2720 in other post. I also have to correct myself. I use 3720s at my work, not 2720s. Bit of a difference there lol.
  7. hmgbird

hmgbird LawnSite Member

When I bought the 3200, it was the dealer's suggestion, saying that I would not be able to use the six foot mower deck with a smaller Kubota engine. (This might or might not have been factual.)

I initially agreed to the dealer's idea of the 2720 as the replacement. However, since I had never had an issue with power with my 21 hp 855, I decided to save some money and go with the 26 hp 2520. I don't think I will notice the difference for my uses.
  8. bobbo57

bobbo57 LawnSite Member

I currently have 5 Kubotas, L5740 and M8540 tractors, 900 and 1140 RTVs, and a ZG332 72" mower. Absolutely the best equipment I've ever owned.
  9. LHS Lawns

LHS Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Both Kubota and JD are great tractors, you can't go wrong with either one.

Like someone else said you have to get the tractor that fits you and your jobs.

Dealer support plays a big role in deciding also.

I always thot I'd get a Kubota but after renting a JD 3520 eHydro for an all day lawn overseeding job, I was smitten with the machine.

The 3520 rode and handled like a dream, it just fit me ergonomically over the Kubota and it will do everything I need to do for lawn work and landscaping.

I got one a month later. At 37.5 hp and 31 pto hp its all I need and then some.

I think I would have been happy with a Kubota but I'm really pleased with my JD, it just fits me.