Kubota Parts

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Weedburner, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

I am going to need an overhaul kit for a Kubota D600 diesel engine. Anyone know of a good source for Kubota parts? The local dealer seems pretty pricey.

2. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

Don't know that you can get parts anywhere but a Kubota dealer. I must ask, are you 100% sure it needs a rebuild? Seems like you are the fellow that posted about having starting problems. If the air filter was in place and clean, the engine was full of oil and wasn't allowed to get hot, they virutually run forever. On the order of 8000 hours. Sure it's not just an improperly bled fuel system? Was fuel filter replaced regularly? I just hate to see a man rebuild an engine that may very likely be fine. Go through all necessary checks tediously before rebuilding...

3. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

Once I got into the engine I found the compression was low and had serious blowby. I could turn the engine over easily by turning the plastic fan. I made sure the injectors were working and the glow plugs were OK. I found the tube that comes out of the aircleaner can, were the hose to the intake attaches, had cracked and broken loose. The engine was sucking dirt behind the filter. I took the engine out of the unit and pulled the head off. There is a pretty good step at the top of the cylinder wall. I plan to borrow a dial bore gage from work and measure how much the cylinder is worn over. I found a new Kubota gas engine that I can get for $1800. I think the parts and machine work to bore it out and sleeve it back will about be a wash. The owner is thinking about the route he wants to go.

4. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

Weedburner, you've done your homework. I have seen the same thing happen to engines before. Dirt directly in the intake will ruin an engine quick. There will be no way around high dollar Kubota parts - dealer only items. They will cripple you. I had a Kubota D600 on an old Grasshopper 1822D front deck mower. They are GREAT engines and you should be able to find one used for a reasonable price. Heck, I sold my Grasshopper in running/mowing condition with only 1300 hours or so for $800 and the motor was as tight as new. It used absolutely NO oil, and had as much power as a new D600 - I sold it cheap because the mower appeared to have been used commercially before I got it and just wasn't taken care of. The deck had issues and much more but that D600 ran PERFECT. Just look around, those D600's are common yet kinda old but they were put on all kinds of equipment and they are very plentiful. I wouldn't be scared of one with 3000-4000 hours or more if it cranked fine and etc. Kubota's are the best diesel engines ever made and you should be able to find a real good runner for $500 - $700.