1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota Powered Lazer....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dependable Mowing, May 14, 2006.

1. Dependable Mowing

Dependable Mowing LawnSite Member

Has anyone here really used or tried out the exmark Lazer XS w/ the 25 horse Kubota engine? Nobody around here seems to stock them. I had the opportunity to try out a Kubota F2560 front mower on one of our horse farms....60" deck, shaft drive, 4wd, and the same 25 horse engine. We we're mowing some really tall, wet stuff with it, going up steep hills at a decent speed, and the engine never bogged down one bit...really....not at all. On top of all this, it was super smooth and quiet. I'm just wondering if it's like this on the Lazers. I know the specs don't seem to show tons of power, but maybe they're underrated.....this engine had serious power.
  2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

a lot of dealers don't carry them because they are gas heads meaning that they don't know a lot about diesels ant they are afraid to stock them.

that is what my dealer told me.

i would love LOVE LOVE to own one of those mowers. i have a zd-18 and i wish i had a better deck(cutting)
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Grasshopper has been using Kubota diesels on their mowers for probably 25 years. The Grasshopper/Kubota is a great combination. Grasshopper uses the industrial line of Kubota engines, not the farm tractor line. I think the Exmark engine is from the farm tractor line, so it may perform different than the engines that Grasshopper uses.
    However, all Kubota engines are pretty tough.
  4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Kubota, Yanmar (JD uses them) are GREAT engines - will probably run about 15,000 hrs. Diesels (both of them) burn 1/2 the fuel - have twice the torque, - require 1/2 the maintainence. Just keep clean air and clean fuel going to them, and they will last 20 yrs+. your machine will not, but the engine will.
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

That and it is an annoyance to go through trying to get signed up to get the parts for the diesel engine to have eXmark just decide not to use them the next model year. ie: the Daihatsu (sp?) diesel on the 2005 Lazer Z XP series.

So, if the Kubota engine makes it on more than one model year.. maybe that will show a commitment from eXmark to continue the power line and make it a worthwhile thing for dealers to work with.
  6. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a kubota in my walker, luckily I have a good connection for parts as all of the mowers that the golf course, that I work at, use kubota diesels so they can get me any part.
  7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't have said it better myself. :weightlifter: :usflag:
  8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've wondered the same thing...there has to be someone out there that's bought a new XS Diesel....
  9. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

My unprofessional guess is if someone wants a diesel, they buy either John Deere or Kubota. When I decided to spend THAT much money (diesel), I went straight to those two dealers - nowhere else. :usflag:
  10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Hmm, no, I don't think so....