Kubota Powered Walker Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, Aug 27, 2007.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know someone that has a Kubota powered Walker and the motor is gone. Someone said that certain years were Kubota only replacements due to the frame design and later models could be swapped between Kubota and Kohler, any thoughts? Tellimeca?

Oh, and no it's not my Walker.. mine is still purring along fine.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Wow... somebody killed a Kubota engine?

Overheat it? Run it dry of oil? Or feed it dirty air?

3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, the kub diesel crank rotates the opposite direction to kohler . As an educated guess given the kub gaser and diesels r similar in many many ways ,so there fore not an impossible conversion but definitely challenging .
    Then there was the earlier diesels and i assume gasers also so as u can see conversion is not that simple . You would need a sympathetic local dealer to assist with detailed parts lists etc . The dealer may be the biggest challenge ??
    IMO kub gaser would be my choice to rebuild as they r totally rebuildable compared to kohler .

tomo:waving:

4. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

I know of a guy who did this. He used an older CH20S engine that was used in walkers from 93-95. The Spec for this engine was 64538. I Know it can be done, it may just depend on the level of dedication this person has to do this.

5. MikeLT1Z28

i'm not really sure what they did to it, i'll find out what kind of hours are on it today. i am told the local dealer pulled the head off of it and a cylinder bore is out of the question due to the cylinder walls being too thin and no availability for oversized rings to take up the slack. i'm guessing a lot of hours. it actually runs, just overheats. i am guessing there is a crack somewhere in the head or block. i'm going to try and get it either way, if nothing else there's a lot of good parts i can swap to mine including a 48" ghs deck.

someone said you have to do a weld job to the frame and basically create mounting points for motor mounts for kohler's since they are V twins and the kubota is an inline 3.

6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

first off, the MT and MD models Do use different rear frames. Belts, pullies, electrical is all different. I would try to find a used walker and swipe the motor. Either that, if the mower is in good shape, buy a new motor for 1/3 of the cost of replacing the mower. Just make sure the cooling system in shape.

Kubotas are great, but they brake just like anything else.

Blocks crack and overheat, injector pumps wear out, bearing wear out.

Most kubota failures are dirt ingestion or overheating.

7. MikeLT1Z28

i priced the replacement kubota wg752 (replaces the wg750) and it's $3210+100 shipped to the dealer.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sorta ouch, sorta not...

Sorta not because the liquid cooled big block v-twin gassers can run mid to high 2's. So a few hundred more for the diesel isn't bad really.

But it is kinda ouchy to put $3310 into a new motor for a used mower.
    I absolutely would not if the owner actually literally wore the kubota out.

But I highly doubt that happened.

More than likely a lack of good scheduled maintenance.
    I have a really hard time believing that a walker unit could outlive a properly serviced kubota.