Kubota vs Cat vs Daihatsu

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 4, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Kubota seems to be the favorite among small diesels. Even though the Cat may have more horse power most lean toward Kubota. Tell me what you know about reliability and track records of small diesels and why you prefer one brand over another. Of course Grasshopper had had wonderful luck out of the Kubota's over the years and Exmark and Scag used a version of Daihatsu I believe for years , Scag ran a 31 turbo diesel in the Sabre Tooth Tiger. Why did they discontinue that engine for a 25 Kubota and 28 Cat

2. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've got the Toro 597 w/ the Daihtsu in it. It's not real old, about 800 hrs on it, and I've been real happy with it. I runs very well and seems to have adequate torque. It may bog a little going uphill in heavy grass, but can be expected with a 72" deck. Yanmar is one you didn't mention, and I have five of those. 22-40 hp in garden tractors, compact utility tractors, and a ss loader. Never had a problem with any of them and the oldest has about 2200 hours. And yes the tractors w/ yanmars are deere.

On edit: The kubota is a very good power plant as well. Had a couple of them as well. One with 3000+ hours in a wide area mower, and never had any problems. I didn't have the mower all 3000 hours.

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

4. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a real hard time with my 72 exmark with the 27 Daihatsu. From oil leaks to just not running good. And it is expensive to fix and it adds alot of weight to the mower. It has 2400 hours and I totally reget buying it. I'm replacing it with another 72 31 briggs this spring. I love exmark and see why they switched to Kubota.

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

What year is your Daihatsu Exmark?

6. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello,
    Diahatsu diesel will run for many many hours
    Parent company of diahatsu is toyota [toyota have made many thousands of industrial diesels]
    The naturally aspirated [no turbo version] is best for reliability
    The turbo seals have been reported to fail [this also applies to any turbo diesel ]
    The engine sizes are 750cc 850cc more common are 950cc ,the 2 x turbo versions in 31hp and 34 hp both 950cc

A general advice is do check how much the turbo pressure is eg the diahatsu is 14psi which is to much if u want a long engine life ,3--7psi would be far better
    If u look at the dyno sheets on this engine the engine struggles at top end .The graph gives u the impression it struggles to breathe . This engine is not a good candidate for turbo in my opinion .

To the people who are having trouble with the diahatsu at 2500 hrs . Diesels are not maintenance free . Has the engine cooling system been serviced correctly , most likely not . Depending on operater the engine has most likely been run on the warmer side of the temp guage some time in its life .
    Have the valve adjustments been done ??
    Is the compression in each cylinder been checked ??
    At that hour reading one thing the makers do not tell u ,has the pump and injectors been serviced ???
    All of the above is basic maintenance ..

Remember the diesels that r under discussion ,the design has been around for a very very long time .

For those of u who desire a briggs big block ,REMEMBER ONE THING BRIGGS ****DONOT MAKE FULLSIZE INDUSTRIAL ENGINES *******
    THE KUBOTA GASER ENGINE WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE

Over all the best choice for a engine is the the diahatsu and kubota up to 950cc . [diahatsu 750,850 ,950 Kubota 722 [2 x others] 900, 1000, 1123cc ]
    Over 950cc the kub 1123 cc is a good/best choice . There is a turbo version also .

There are many mower makers that use at least 1.1ltr --1.5 ltr to power 72 inch decks ,even some turbo engines
    Why do people try to use a engine that is to small then eg a diahatsu 950 cc or even the kub 900 cc To small to start with [It also helps if the deck is a big ass tunnel type to pass LARGE amounts of clippings ] Some makers do this option for the 72 deck only .They may know some thing !!

The cat engine has been dropped by 2x mower makers so although i am not familiar with the issues ,the dicontinued engine speaks volumes .

tomo:waving:

7. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I believe its an 04

8. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have dihatusu engines and they have been flawless engines!

9. sandman

sandman eXmark Rep.

*post deleted*

10. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I love the diahtsu diesel. I had one on an exmark with 3000 hrs the only problem iwth it was a front seal which is to be expected.

"had a real hard time with my 72 exmark with the 27 Daihatsu. From oil leaks to just not running good. And it is expensive to fix and it adds alot of weight to the mower. It has 2400 hours and I totally reget buying it. I'm replacing it with another 72 31 briggs this spring. I love exmark and see why they switched to Kubota"

if you want to get rid of that dihatsu let me know