Kubota ZD 21 pro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harleypitbullone, Jun 30, 2004.

1. harleypitbullone

harleypitbullone LawnSite Member

I purchased a kubota zero turn mower last year. A ZD 21 pro to be exact. I read in another forum where someone was having trouble with grass clumping up under the deck. I am having this same problem. The mower only has 30 hours on it. I mow about 5 acres with it a week, not commercial. If anyone can give me any information on how to stop the clumping please let me know. Thank you

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You are either mowing when wet, or mowing clover/crabgrass.

If your not doing these things, something is wrong.

Is your deflector chute UP?

Are your blades new AND sharp?

Is your deck level and pitched correctly?

Like I said above, some decks are better than others, but all should perform well under ideal conditions (what a homeowner SHOULD be mowing under).

3. harleypitbullone

My father has quite a bit of crabcrass in his yard. He planted more fescue this year and fertilized. His yard is very thick. He is having alot more trouble than I am. My yard is less than a year old on a new construction home. The blades may need to be replaced, thanks for the information. That could be the problem.

4. harleypitbullone

I read something in another forum that the Pro series deck on a kubota come with the kit that everyone is talking about to speed up the blades. Does anyone know if this information is correct? Thank you

5. cquest

cquest LawnSite Member
    from 75701

I have searched but could not find any info on a speed up kit for Kubota Z's

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

contact the dealer they should know

7. FLS

FLS LawnSite Member

We have 2 ZD21 pro's and they will clump a little in crabgrass and thick clover if it's wet.The blade speed up kit is only for the stamped decks.If the grass builds up on the points of the baffles it may start to leave a strip of uncut grass in the thick areas,so keep the deck as clean as possible.Crabgrass and clover build up rather fast under there.

8. harleypitbullone

I saw a mulching kit on Kubota's website. Does anyone have any information or experience with this?

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't consider a mulch kit an option if your complaining about clumping while side discharging.

What cut height are you cutting at?

10. harleypitbullone

Cutting at 2.5 inches. Do I need to remove the discharge chute? Do commercial mowers leave the chute on or take it off?