Kubota ZD 28 Feedback

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Simply Green Lawn Care, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Simply Green Lawn Care

Simply Green Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from TN

I'm starting a commercial lawn care business and I would like some input with regards to reliabilty and the general reputation of the Kubota line of ZTR's.

I recently purchased A Kubota ZD28F/60"(Diesel) although I was leaning towards the EXMARK and SCAG brands.

I decided to go with Kubota because I've dealt with this dealer before and they are relatively good for providing service and parts.

The EXMARK dealer is right down the street from the KUBOTA dealer. Both are just a few miles from my house. The SCAG dealer is further away and I'm not sure about his service reputation. The EXMARK Dealer has a good reputation for his service.

Kubota actually has a chart on their website comparing themselves with EXMARK and SCAG. So far I like the Kubota but I would appreciate some feedback from you guys that have more experience.

Please help! Thanks, Bo @ Simply Green Lawn Care

2. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Would like to know How you are making out with this machine so far. I am currently in th market for one . 0% interest right now for 36 mo. Looks like a great machine, and is lots less than competeters.

3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I dont get how the kubota website says there the only one with shaft drive and Im positive my turftigers have shaft drives.

4. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

as long as you do not have any BAHIA grass and you cut the property before it gets really tall you will be ok to me the Kubota will slide on a hillside before our Scag saber Tooth would but we mde the decision to sell the Kubota and buy another Scag we wnt with the Turf tiger last May the year we bought another Saber Tooth Tiger so far it is doing great Good luck with the ZD . Oh yea have fun finding all of the greas fitting on the ZD to many to count ofr sure .Twj

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a ZD21 4 years ago, it now has 1600 hrs on it. Its been a great machine. I just bought a ZD28 this winter, I have not mowed with it yet. I do some pretty steep hills and the 21 was a little low on power for charging up the hills in the tall grass.
    As far as it having alot of grease points, I think thats a PLUS. I like to know everything is getting lubed regularly. One of the biggest advantages of the Kubota design over many of the other brand diesels is the lack of belts and pulleys driving off the back of the engine.
    I think you will be happy with your Kubota purchase decision for many years to come.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Actually, it is a proven engineering fact, that a properly designed and maintained belt drive transfers the engine horsepower to the deck, more effeciently,( with less horsepower loss), than a drive shaft.
    While the driveshaft design is very sturdy, the machines with belt drive provide more power to the blades, assuming same size engines.

7. Stephen F.

Stephen F. LawnSite Member

I am also new to the business and have been looking all winter at all the ZT's. I have also narrowed my selection to the ZD28/60 or the Scag Turf Tiger. Haven't made the purchase yet. I have been very careful of the Kubota because of not seeing hardly any commercial users with it. All the dealers say that they sell most units to home owners.

8. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We bough a ZD-21 a few years ago. Worked great but we needed a little more power on a few properties. Last season I bought 2 ZD-28's and a ZD-25. They all had transmission issues that Kubota realized...and Kubota took care of all of them in fast fashion. In fact, they extended the transmission warranty to 4 full years.
    Our ZD's are fantastic on slopes, quiet, smooth and reliable.
    I have owned Kubota's since 1981 and have always been satisfied.

Good Luck!!
    Buddy