1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kubota zd-pro 60

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steve225, Jun 2, 2003.

1. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

Has anyone run or own the new zd-pro 21 hp kubota ?
    How do they cut ? Thinking about getting one.
  2. FARMERlawn03

FARMERlawn03 LawnSite Member

AD I Found: 2001 Kuboto, ZD-18 Diesel, under 30 hours, $7100 OBO
    I Found this ad in a heavy equipment trader. This machine looks nice, I was interested too. Their website is under construction.
    Go to: www.thru.to/turf for free info!
  3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the cubic inch displacement, the 28 HP is a much bigger block, and has a real alternator not that teeny BS armature thing.

Get the 28 HP with the blade speed up kit and fabricated deck, you'll mow at 1/2 throttle, and use less fuel with power to spare for steep uphill, etc.

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

a friend and co worker has a zd-21 diesel 60" he loves it . he said you can mow wide open in pretty much and grass and come out with a perfect cut. i've only seen it operate 1 time but was inpressed with it.
  5. Speedy

Speedy LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

We run a ZD 21 with a 60" deck and also have a Kubota 2160 bagger that has a 21 hp diesel engine in it. We like the power and the way they cut. We are looking for a good ZD 18 with a 52" deck for some tight places. Can't beat the diesel for power.. Don't know what the price of the ZD 28 is, but unless you have some serious grass to cut I don't think I could justify the price difference.
  6. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

think he said the zd-21 60" diesel was 10 or 11K
  7. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

That's what they go for around here also.
  8. Cable dude

Cable dude LawnSite Member

I bought the ZD21 with the Pro deck this year and it has been a dream machine for me. I use it to cut 3 acres with many mow obstacles and it has cut mow time in half vs. 54" garden tractor. I initially though the fuel gage was defective as it didn't go off of full during the first 3.5 hours. After 8 hours of use, it finally registered a 1/4 tank. The cut is perfect and the diesel engine is surprisingly quiet. Anyone buying this machine will be very happy with it. At $9.5K, next to nothing in fuel cost, 0.0% financing, it is a great value.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I had a JD F-935 with a 22hp Yanmar and a 60" deck.....UNDERPOWERED

The DC 26hp 60" Yanmar ........UNDERPOWERED

The eXmark 27hp Diesel 60" ........Just about right, but UNDERPOWED on a 72" deck.

What can possibly make a 21hp Kubota properly power a 60" deck and NOT be UNDERPOWERED? :confused:

Maybe I'm just impatient and try to mow too fast while cutting off too much grass, but.....

I'd go with the ZD-28 over the 21, but I, myself, personally would rather have a "PROVEN" eXmark Lazer.
  10. Speedy

Speedy LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Don't know about everyone else that own Kubota's, BUT I haven't stalled my ZD 21 with a 60" deck yet. Ground speed is approx 9.8mph and that is the way I cut. I my opinion the 21hp KUBOTA engine on the 60" is not under-powered. I do find it interesting though that most poeple on this forum don't use the Kubota. Still reading and learning. That's what I like about this site..