Kubota Zd riders ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone own a Kubota ZD21 with that 21hp 3 cylinder diesel ? how much did you pay for it and do you like it ? any dislikes.

2. Shumdit

Shumdit LawnSite Member

I have a ZD 21-60 which I really like, except for the fact that I need Kubota to offer a better collection system, or for Peco to come out with one. The mower itself has been great, and I have even helped Kubota make a few sales with it. I paid $9000 for mine, plus taxes, etc.

3. Bunton Guy

How powerfull is the motor ? How low maintenance is that diesel engine ? Is it really as quiet as the advertisment says ?

4. Shumdit

Shumdit LawnSite Member

It is powerful enough for my use, which is mostly tall fescue and bermuda. I can cut a full speed (about 9.5 mph) on normal lawns, as the front axle pivots and the suspension seat is excellent). The engine is quieter than my Kohler 25, and service parts are not expensive (Air filter, oil filter, blades, etc. ) are about the same or even slightly less than I pay for my gas engine parts. It is likely thay Hard parts (repair items, like valves, etc.) would be more expensive, but most here will agree the engine will probably outlast the rest of the mower, so that is not really a serious consideration for me. Overall I am very happy with the product so far, and heartily endorse it.

5. sprucehavenfarm

sprucehavenfarm LawnSite Member

I would agree with the above. I have a ZD28 and love it. I've had three Kubota tractors and they have all given good service. They are solid QUALITY machines.

I like the pivoting axle and standard suspension seat w/ armrests. Very comfortable ride. All controls and gauges in one spot. The hydraulic deck lift is a godsend. Crank up front makes for quick cleanings or blade changes/sharpening. I even like the way the engine is covered. Very clean and quality design and the engine is not out in the elements.

6. Bunton Guy

Any you guys only paid 9K+ tax not bad. I think I will make one of these my first Z.......all the other Diesel Z's are 12K+ and the Ferris diesel is 16K+ I trust Kubota for there quality I was just worried that the 21hp wasent enough for a 60"

7. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Whose signature line is it that reads "Too much power is just about right?"

Well anyway, I think that that philosophy fits pretty well here....

8. hagen

hagen LawnSite Member
    from texas

I would get the zd28 with the 60 inch deck that way you have plenty of power i think the 21 horse is two small for the 60 inch deck but alot of times i am mowing really tall grass on a yard, if it was short it would be alright but when the grass gets tall it is going to be underpowered

9. joeypotts

joeypotts LawnSite Member

I have a ZD2160 and the 21 has plenty of power for the 60" deck. I have a full season on the machine now and no problems. Just keep the blades sharp and the filters clean and you will have a zero turn that will last for many seasons. I am still looking for the filters to cross refernce with the Kubota filters to save some money, but I guess they are not too high since the mower was $8900. The diesel engine was the main reason for my purchase. I have heard only good things about them. They are supposed to far outlast the gas engines. And they are great on fuel. I cut $190 worth of grass the other day on just $3 worth of fuel. Not bad.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Mow&Snow-That would be Brickman. That new Ferris looks pretty trick with that Cat diesel on it, but I don't know how well it cuts. Good luck.