1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota ZD Zero Turn Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon S, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Jon S

Jon S LawnSite Member

Kubota has changed their ZD ZTR decks from a stamped deck to a fabricated welded deck called the "pro" deck. Does any know if they mow better than the stamped deck? I do like the front pivot wheels of the new welded deck! I am thinking of trading my ZD21 with a stamped deck for the new ZD pro series. I am trying to determine whether it is worth it!

Thanks....Jon S.:D
  2. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

I bought a ZD 21 last year. I wanted to trade it this year for the pro because of the cut but the dealer wanted 4500. to trade w/250HRS NO WAY. So i went to a JD 777 . much better cut.I also have a JD 665 and it always cut better than the ZD. GOOD LUCK
  3. Jon S

Jon S LawnSite Member

Do you know for a fact that the welded deck mows better than the stamped deck? I have not seen the cut from the welded deck model. Have you seen the cut from the welded deck which is the "pro"deck!

Thanks... Jon S
  4. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

No i havent seen the cut of the pro deck. It's got to be better than the stamped!! How many HRS on yours did you get any trade prices yet.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

A fabricated deck is much stronger and will give you a better cut.
  6. Jon S

Jon S LawnSite Member

I have heard all the hype regarding the Kubota "pro" deck but have not talked to anyone who has actually used the stamped and welded deck models.

Today, I did demo a ZD28 with a 72" "pro" deck and was very unimpressed. The deck did not seem to cut any better than the stamped deck and the machine seems to be very underpowered.

I have mowed with a ZD28 72" with a stamped deck and the same machine with the "pro" deck did not cut any better and seemed to have less power! Could it be possible that the new "pro" deck requires more power?

I personally have a ZD21 with a 60" stamped deck. My machine seems to have more power and cuts better than the ZD28 72" "pro" deck.

I have 22 hours on my machine. The dealer quoted me $3000.00 to upgrade to the ZD28 72" w/"pro" deck.

I am thinking these new welded decks are not any better, but was just a marketing campaign by Kubota to keep up with the competition.

7. Speedy

Speedy LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Question.. is the fabricated deck made of thicker metal than the stamped deck. Can the ZD pro deck be put on a regular ZD??

Got to find time to go check these decks out..
  8. Jon S

Jon S LawnSite Member

The welded fabricated deck is a heaver gauge of metal than the stamped deck. Also, the 2 decks are not interchangeable. If you buy a stamped deck model, you can not put a welded deck on it!

Jon S.
  9. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I can say from researching these mowers that the PRO decks are 7 gauge on all sides and top which is heavier (obviously) than 10 gauge (which many manufacturers use) and that they are baffled underneath similar to Exmarks and Hustlers to promote a better cut. Now until I demo one to know for sure.....well I won't know for sure:) I'm hooked on wanting a diesel I know that much (gas=rated for 2000hrs/diesel=rated for 5000hrs and more torque) That's a no brainer for me.
  10. Cable dude

Cable dude LawnSite Member

I have been using the ZD21 with Pro deck since April and feel is gives a fabulous cut. Took off the blade guard, and there is virtually no clumping as grass is blown out about 10'.

Did get a call from my Kubota rep who said the factory forgot to greases the three mower spindles properly. The grease wells needed a half a tube each. You need to grease until you see it ooze out the top of the sprocket.