Kubota ZD / ZG Opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by somewacko2, Apr 7, 2004.

1. somewacko2

somewacko2 Banned
    from PA

I have seen very little on this site about the Kubota ZD/ZG mowers. I had the oppertinuity to drive one today and I was extremely impressed. The build quality is excellent and they have a neat feature that you can lift the front of the mower for service without any tools or jacks. It drove like a BMW, the hydro was silky smooth.

My only other real experience was with ferris and grasshopper / woods. Anyone with exmark / scag experience use on of these?

2. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

I too would like to hear some experienced input on Kubota. You're right, there's very little about them on the site - and as I have a dealer just up the street I would welcome the voices of experience. Anyone...?

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Some people on here have them. Personally I've been hoping someone would volunteer some feedback on how that new "Pro Deck" is performing in the field.

As for the ZD / ZG thing. The more I think about it, the more I convince myself that we are all foolish for not running diesel mowers. I mean, what IS the down side to running diesels? I can't seem to find one.

On occasion I've been eyeballing some 60" mowers and getting the old wheels turning in the event that I land 2 or 3 of these acreage bids I've got pending. Right now, the ZD 21 with the 60" Pro Deck is almost $2,000 cheaper than the old stamped deck was last year. Now the sticker is $9,200 on them here.

4. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

We now have both the 21's and 28's and love them. The new decks are totally awesome. I'm a real lover of diesel - and Kubota does it right. We don't have many accounts that are real hilly - but if you do - I'd suggest the 28 for the added power - but in almost any situation the 21 will be more than sufficient - keep in mind you are talking about the power of a diesel - not a gasser. Major difference - IMO. Hope this helps.
    Dave

5. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a ZD-28 with a 60in prodeck about 2 wks ago and all I can say is that it is the best built mower I have ever used. I demoed everything and I really like this one.

6. CELS

CELS LawnSite Member
    from KY

Do you ZD-28 owners find that those mowers are too heavy to run on a residential yard?

7. Envy Lawn Service

See now... Why is it that even though this area is hilly, the dealers only stock the ZD21. I think the only ZD28's I've ever seen were 72" cut. Same deal with the Grasshopper with the Kubota diesel. Plenty of 321D/61's and no 428D/61's.

As for the ZD28 weight.... it weighs what? Maybe 1500 lbs? Yeah it's heavy, but not really all that much heavier than the average gasser.

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a res. lawn big enough to run a 60 inch mower on, its no different than a commercial lawn. I personally wouldnt put my 60 on any thing smaller than 1/2 acre res. lot.

9. YardMeister

YardMeister LawnSite Member

Can you get a grass catcher / bagger for the Kubota? I've not found any available for that brand of Z.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Yes, Kubota has an OEM catcher. A pretty nice one too.