Kubota ZD21 not cutting right. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doster's L & L, May 13, 2004.

1. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running a '01 Zd21 with the stamped deck. I bought the new gear to speed up my blade tip last year, i use high lift blades, the underside of the deck stays clean, but on the exit side of the deck (Chute side) some grass is still standing after cutting. It's not like there is a strip left there (ex. gap between right and middle blade) it'sjust not cutting some of the grass. I also checked to make sure the blades are tight too......and sharp obviously.

Is it possible that the high lift blades are creating so much vaccum that the air hits the bottom of the deck and the air goes back to the grass and pushes the grass back down so that it doesnt get cut? :confused: Any suggestions on what to do to fix this.

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I think it's one of two things.. or maybe a combo of each. The deck may not be level or there is so much discharge that that blade cannot keep up with it and cut too. Maybe?

3. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

The deck was a little bit off. I checked this morning, but i didin't think that .25" would make that much difference. I worked on it and it's pretty close now, but it's still cutting like crap. It's cutting AWEFUL!!! I've never seen a mower cut this bad. I don't believe that it's the excessive discharge of grass that's making it do that, cause it's still cutting terrible with thin grass.

Any more suggestions??

4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Did your problem start when you sped up the blades or put on the high lifts. If so take 'em off. I had a zd with stock bldes it cut well.

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

My ZD cuts very well . But its totally stock. Just to be sure I will ask you. Do you have the mower jack backed off all the way? If not it will cause the right hand tire to carry most of the machine weight.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm just guessing here but,If it is a stamped deck it probably does not have enough depth to handle the additional blade speed.
    One other thing..........your deck should be "pitched" meaning the rear of the deck should be a bit higher than the front.1/8-1/4 inch usually.

7. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

One other suggestion. Try adding spacers on top of your blades. This will make your cut lower so you will have to raise your deck to keep the same cutting height. This allows for more air flow out of the deck..Chuck

8. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Another guess?

Maybe the height of the high lft is stopping flow from the other blades- If the back of the lift is different than the others - shiny or crudded.

You say that you dont thing its flow.

Maybe the tire is flattening the grass too much?

The blades have any spacers between the blade and spindle?

GL

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get rid of it, you'll never get it to cut right. A local LCO had one with a stamped and the same problems you are experiencing. He traded it off for a Lazer and couldn't be happier.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, not to make anyone mad, and I hope I don't, but I just tell it like it is. EVERY cut I have ever seen with a stamped Kubota deck was horrible. I had a tractor style mower at one time and the cut was horrible on it too. So I speak from experience.

Plain simple and honest.... they don't offer a new deck for nothing. Down here they cut like crap.

Anyways, reading that helps nothing. So I will try to say something constructive. First check the belt tension. Then jack the mower up. Block the center blade so it can't spin. Then push the discharge blade both ways and see what you get.

Nothing yet? See if you can make the discharge blade slide around with the spindle locked down. Still nothing? REMOVE the anti-scalp rollers on that side and try a pass or two. IF you don't get anything out of that, you'll just have to experiment with different style blades. Maybe even a combination of different blades on one or more spindles.

If you don't have any slipage, Personally I think the problem just seems to have surfaced because of the condition of the grass right now. It is very limp around here right now and it doesn't pop up to be cut very well. So tire squish, scalp wheels, lack of lift, turbulance, excess air flow, high ground speed, discharge blow over ect.... all these things effect the finished cut right now.

Also, maybe you might ought to check and make sure the engine RPM's haven't creeped down a little slower.

Hope I helped you out.