Kubota ZD21 or 28 users?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cblackwe, Sep 15, 2003.

1. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

Looking seriously at the Kubota ZDs. Is the 28 worth the extra $$$. Does the 21 have enough power to not bog down in tall/wet grass??? I guess the 21hp diesel has more power than a 21hp gas??? My 20hp Kohler bogs in tall stuff on my TurfRanger, wondering if I should spring for the extra hp on the 28??

Steep slope performance?? Retention basin sides, etc.

Seems like as good a mower as any other top name ZTR, dealer is bending over backward to make financing work for me. Please share your experiences....

2. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

HELP!!!!!!!!!! Did a search on Kubota 21 and 28 hp ZD mowers and am more confused now than ever... 50/50 say that the 21 will be underpowered vs. the 28. I am mowing commercially doing retention basins w/ steep slope sides and other properties that range from manicured to rough. Some one that has one of these mowers please shed some light.. Dealer says that the 21 will be fine, it is also in stock. But he says he has sold alot of 28s too...

3. DoubleCutter

DoubleCutter LawnSite Member

I read here that someone said the 21 hp was pretty weak. Being only 21 hp I would say that is correct, but then you have to add in the "diesel" factor(big torque). But ive never run a diesel mower so I couldnt say.
    Personally, I usually always try to get the highest available (hp+torque) in anything I buy. My opinion is its better to underwork a big motor then overwork a small motor.
    Whats the price difference between the two. I only seen one person with one yet this year( I was interested too) The guy really didnt seem too keen on it, but I didnt really take his word on it....if you saw this sketchy sob, you wouldnt either.
    Let me know what ya find out, They were offering 0% financing on them this year but I think its over now.
    Bill