Kubota zd21 or Hustler Super Z 27 Kohler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassdoctor, May 26, 2006.

1. grassdoctor

grassdoctor LawnSite Member

I need to buy one of these mowers asap and I cannot choose. Personally I like the hustler because of how fast it is capable of going and its ability to hold hills and its low profile. BUT I know the kubota is a more "Built" machine. It is diesel and definatly has more engineering into the drivetrain. What should I do. The hustler is 1700 bucks less in my area. I have already ruled out the competition we have test drove about a hundred mowers.

Troy

2. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

id go w/ the hustler for several reasons:
    cheaper
    field proven many times over
    faster top speed
    higher blade tip speed
    more horsepower
    can adjust in 1/4" rather than 1/2" increments

and for some reason kubota only gives you cutting capacity at 3.5mph rather than 80% efficiency, though that kubota is a great lookin machine.

3. grassdoctor

grassdoctor LawnSite Member

Ok thanks for the info the only thing I would say is that the fuel consumption savings are about half on the kubota .... I think that levels the playing field in price and in the long run may make you more money.... but I personally like somthing about the hustler better... I figure at current fuel prices on an 8 hour day of mowing the savings would be $20 bucks a day.

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

They both cut grass equally well, the Hustler will not cut a real lawn at 15 mph.
    Features of the Kubotas that I prefer. Osscilating front axle, pivoting anti scalp wheels, built in jack, shaft drive, hydralic deck lift, higher ground clearance under engine for climbing curbs, and lets not forget liquid cooled diesel engine. At 2000 hrs the Kubota engine will still be making 21 HP. At 2000 hours the air cooled engine wont and may not even last that long.
    I would sugest the ZD25 or 28 for really tall grass conditions though. I have both a ZD21 with 1800 hours on it and a ZD 28 bought this year.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I demoed the ZD21 and bought ZD28. Insane power. only have a few minor problems with mine. Will buy more when the time comes.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Test drove one hundred mowers? Heck I would just test drive a different one every day until the season is up and buy one next year.

7. jdlynch

jdlynch LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am encouraged by the positive comments on the ZD Kubotas.

I have been considering a gas ZG series Kubota; Do you think it will perform nearly as well as its ZD siblings?

My main concern is cut quality, and I prefer to mulch. My lawn is turf fescue, well manicured.

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Just curious but what kind of problems have you had?

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, my questions are these....

1) Is the Hustler a 2006 with the XR-7 deck?
    2) How much more for the ZD25 or ZD28 over the ZD21?

10. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Just get the Zd 28 WITH THE DEISEL... and you will be flying through that tough wet grass that those other machines need to triple cut on
    Ps make shure u go deisel