Kubota Zd21 Versus Hustler Super Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tarp5350, Jul 16, 2005.

1. tarp5350

tarp5350 LawnSite Member

i have finally narrowed my choices down to two mowers for my farm. i looked at them yesterday at the dealer that sells both of them. i don,t know what to decide on. i can buy the hustler superz with a 72 inch deck that has 12 hours on the hour meter with the 28 hp efi engine for $8800.00 dollars or the brand new kubota zd 21 with a 60 inch deck with the diesel engine for $9500.00. which would be the better buy? i know that the kubota has the shaft drive and the hydrautic lift. but the hustler can mow faster. my problem is i don,t know which one would be the best buy.
    i have been reading this site for a long time and there are many experts that do this for a living and i would like their opinons on this subject.
    i mow around 4-5 acres around my farm so i don,t do this full time. i am 61 years old so this will be my last mower that i plan to buy. for this kind of money i want to get my money worth. any sugestions would be appreciated.

2. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Try them both on your property and see. You have 2 good choices here, so see if your dealer can step up to the plate and let you demo them for an hour or so each. Which mower is better for your property. You have the distinct advantage to only have one property to mow and not having to try to get a machine that has to adapt to so many different props. Good luck and let us know what machine you chose and why. Thanks Cutter LLC

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would go with the Kubota. I would take a diesel over a gas engine any day even if its an efi gas. Spend the extra $700 and go with the Kubota. Its well worth it in my opinion.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

As per other posts here, Kubota is having a bunch of hydrostatic drive problems on their ZTR machines that they can not seem to get fixed. I believe I would pass on the Kubota machines at this time

5. tarp5350

tarp5350 LawnSite Member

it looks like i won,t be able to try them out on my property because the dealer doesn,t do demos only except in the parking lot of his store.
    i think i will wait till next spring to buy since we are in the middle of a drought and the grass is already brown and is near the end of mowing season.
    the only dealer that would bring his mower to my property to demo was a great dane dealer. he said i could try it out over the weekend.

6. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Kubota seems to be having problems mulching to. :)

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Kubota is a very fine machine, many have used in my area but as said above, there are annoying problems regarding thier drive system which has not been addressed to the point of satisfaction. It is expensive to repair even trying to get it back on trailer. It is one major thing you want to consider, dealer don't give a thing once it is out of his shop.
    I would go with Hustler if I were you. If I would buy a Z, either Hustler or eXmark, but I take Hustler first cause their dealers better handling customers than eXmark's dealers who also carry Kubota too.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I would get the Hustler with out the EFI.. Dealers in this area report alot of problems with the early models of EFI. Not worth the 20% savings in gas to me. Carbs may use a little more gas but they are easy to work on if they ever tear up. Just my 2 cents. Even the factory told me they had alot of complaints with the early EFI Kohlers but they may have worked it out.

9. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer won't do demo's?? Find another dealer!

I know Kubota is having plenty of trouble with their intergrated hydro system. I would go Hustler but maybe not EFI, I'm a Hustler dealer and would like to see the EFI engines get a little more time on the market.

Good Luck!

10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO 28hp is not enough for 72" deck