1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota ZD28 too heavy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bayfish, Nov 21, 2003.

1. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine has a Kubota ZD28 hp diesel. Complains of leaving ruts in yards that are slightly wet. I don't have that problem with my Hustler Z. I looked up the weight of the Kubota, 1600 lbs compared to the Hustler Z at 1100. Its long frame at 89" compared to 75" on the Hustler only helps to place more weight on the rear axle where the engine is. This mower is too heavy for most residential lawns. Diesels are great, but this mowers niche is not in the residential market. Any opinions?
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Your right I guy I know went into lawn care this year. We had a mutual pal and he suggest that I get together with this guy and let him know the pro/cons to business. we did I advised him what to purchase but he had already done it. Kubota, I informed him that it had its place but not in residental lawn care or most commercial accts. becasue of cost and weight. he said oh well, but a few month later he said you were right. he then went and bought a scag walk-behind. stay with the Hustler!!
  3. Bologna! My mower weight 6,600# and I use it on residentials!
    It ain't the weight it's the tire pressure. The pounds per square inch. Mine runs 11 psi. It has a lighter footprint than your mower. It has a lighter footprint than you do. It can mow over ground too wet to walk across.

Your buddy has just read the side of his tire where it says inflate to 24# so he did. Tell him to reduce the tire pressure to mfg. specs and try again.

You sound like a couple of old ladies. "Why that mower is just too big and powerful for my lawn!"

The Kubota may have tires too small for the mower, but it ain't the weight. A 21" lawn boy will leave ruts before anything else.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I had the zd21 and it did the same thing you can only lower the pressure so much before there flat. and you can only go so wide becouse the deck won't cover your tracks plus it put to much pressure on axle bearings. your right its the footprint and on the zd models theres not much you can change on the machine except the name.

5. Oh, I stand corrected. I retract 50% of what I said.:D

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What Haggerty says is true, in my opinion, and experience, BUT...

The wide area mowers we use are 4wd JD 1600's, and yes they can mow where you can't walk and the Kubota will get stuck, but..

The Kubota is a skidsteer...all zero turn mowers are essentially skidsteers. That is how the damage occurs. The wide area mowers are steering-wheel.

Just imagine if you had a 6600-lb ZTR, it would raise hell on grass unless it was dry and the operator was smooooooth.

7. aw3375

aw3375 LawnSite Member

If the foot print is a problem and you can't lower the air pressure, then you may want to think about getting after market tires for it. I run a grasshopper front-mount zero turn and like Albemarle Lawn says it is a skid steer and the key to not digging up the lawn when you turn is to always keep both tires moving. Even if the inside tire is rotating backwards when turning in place. I also only high flotatiion tires with bar tread and only about 5psi in them. I have one property on a lake with no sea wall and I can mow with the edge of the deck in the water to avoid trimming and I don't leave any tracks behind. Even after it has rained.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I have a grass hopper front mount now and its not the same, the "bota" a mid mount I suppose you could beef up the bearings and have special rims and tire made to lower the psi on the ground. But that is the problem the psi to ground contact, and "bota'' is just not very good at it with these particular models. I had a 8 wheel Argo that weighed more than those ztr and I ran 1 1/2 psi in the tires thats why they call them go anywhere machines. I could cross mud that if you stood on it you would sink to your knees and I would hardly leave a mark. IMO these are not "bota's" best thought out designed models.

9. This ZTR was 4,500#. It had a lever for each drive wheel. they were both together in the middle. I can steer it with one hand. It would run 15mph originally. But when I installed new wheel motors the new ones only ran half as fast, but had twice the torque. It cut 12' wide and had a 51hp Kubota diesel engine.

You're right it was difficult to control. But I'd take it over some pretty soft ground. Those balloon tires are on 29" rims.

Since this pic I've junked the mowing decks and made it a dedicated core aerator.

smalamo angle .jpg
  10. I wasn't thinking about the tires not fitting under the fenders etc.
    Maybe something like these would help on a Kubota "Z"
    I started using them this year. (Not this manufacturer, but this design of a tire) It has no sholder and the sidewall is very flexible. It's designed to run low psi and just rolls along looking half flat like it's some kind of tank tread or something.

I bought a couple of them this spring from Century Equipment. They were "take offs" from new Toro 327-D's They had a whole stack of them because customers wouldn't accept the new style tire. These customers were groundskeepers at golf courses, service supervisors for municipalities etc. The tires didn't look like what they were used too.

I bought a couple (wheel and all) for $100. 23x8.50x12 to replace Carslile turf saver 23x10.50x12.
    These flat looking tires actually have more traction and tear up the turf less than the turf savers. And they'll go anywhere. After a season they show practically no wear. I guess cause they're so soft they don't suffer abrasion like a stiffer tire.

I wish I'd bought the whole stack!

This is Dico's version of it. The ones I have are Chen-Shin (I think).
    Whether they'd work on a Kubota "Z" would depend a lot on how the deck was suspended. Some Z's depend on the drive tires to hold up the rear of the deck.

sm lgdicotitanturftracrs[1].gif