1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota ZD28 with 60" Pro Deck

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by LostCreekFarm, May 26, 2004.

1. LostCreekFarm

LostCreekFarm LawnSite Member

Hello to everyone at LawnSite.com!

This is my first post to this forum.

I have an 18-acre horse farm in Southern-Middle, TN that I take care of on a daily basis.

I regularly bush hog about 10 acres with a 60hp Belarus 425AN diesel tractor pulling a 6-foot AgriCutter bush hog.

I also cut grass on about 5-acres that immediately surrounds the house and have been using a New Holland LS45 lawn tractor.

I am considering replacing my 6-year-old LS45 with a new Kubota ZD28 with a 60"deck (for $10,650) since I have had to replace the blade spindles twice and the deck drive pulleys once and need a heavier duty machine for my farm.

My question is can the ZD28 handle the bushhogging duties in addition to the regular grass cutting, since the Kubota ZD28 is a much heavier-duty machine?

I would much rather ride the ZD28 all day than my Belarus tractor and am wondering if anone knows if the ZD has been used in a bushhogging situation.

2. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

You may want to also post in the Equipment-tractor Forum for advice from those that don't visit here. I can't speak on the Kubota (just saw it last week and it looked like it should handle it) but would offer 2 more to consider. Just bought a 23hp/52 Charger (www.countryclipper.com) and was amazed how well it handled my overgrown back section that I was gonna have a neighbor brush hog for me. The Charger is available in a 25/60" for $6385 or you can get a Zeton with a bigger engine (the ZetonBoss has a 72" deck) for a lot less than the Kubota. Another possibility is the EverRide Warrior (8" deep tapered deck with 169 sq.in. discharge). Demo whatever you can before deciding; if it's easier and faster to mow, you're more likely to stay on top of it and possibly have no need for a brush hog.
    Check out the Country Clipper's easy/fun single joystick control. My wife and kids never wanted to mow before (now they fight over it - with my neighbor). Good luck!
  3. LostCreekFarm

LostCreekFarm LawnSite Member

Thanks for the new information on the Country Clipper Charger and EverRide Warrior mowhigh!

I will have definitely have to check those models out.

I would love to get a mower that my wife would "fight" to drive. Mowing our place has become one big chore that I dread every two weeks.

Looks like I need to do more reserach.

Thanks again for the posting advice too.

George Garber
    Fayetteville, TN