Kubota ZD326 or Grasshopper 725D

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by CaptPat, Jun 19, 2012.

1. CaptPat

CaptPat LawnSite Member

I currently have a Grasshopper 329B and would like to shift to a diesel power mower and I'm down to these models. The 329 is a great mower, but the Vanguard engine is thirsty. I've considered and discarded the Scag and Ferris diesels, mainly due to concerns about getting repairs to the CAT diesel, (and the Ferris is hugely expensive and heavy) The Kubota dealer is more convenient than the Grasshopper dealer and other than the distance I'd rate them as about equal in support. I recognize that comparing a mid-mount to a front mount is a little apples to oranges but...

The advantages of each as I see it are:

Fewer belts
    Transmission vice pumps and wheel motors, also fewer hoses
    Hydraulic deck lift
    Bigger tires, drive and front casters
    Less expensive

I'm expecting an improved cut, and some reduction in trimming
    Ease of underdeck maintenance with the powerfold deck

I have some slope to my property but the current mower handles it easily, up/down, across or at a 45 degree angle.

Have I missed something that I should be considering?

Thanks in advance

P. S. I expect to be listing my low hours 329 in the classified section in the next few days--have to get the camera working first :dizzy:
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

the kubota is a mean beast, we have 2 for sale. it will outlast the grasshopper tons over, and i am not talking the engine. i think the kubota is heavier, but worth it for large areas like i think you are mowing.
  3. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you owned a Grasshopper?
  4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

Used, and known owners
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Im kinda on the mid mount or front mount GH thing also. For me the flip up deck is awesome for service. And the GH catcher holds more then any other mfg. You cant go wrong with a Kubota motor in either one as well.
  6. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I really like the built in maintenance lift on the Kubota.