1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kubota ZD326 or ZG327

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnScenes, Apr 19, 2008.

1. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

Anyone using either of these mowers? Purchasing one or the other next week and I'm kinda torn. I'm swinging to wards the ZG327 because it's a bit bigger (size wise) and has a gasoline engine. Not really interested in carrying around diesel (spare for long days), mixed, and straight. If the diesel is the better choice I'm game however. Just trying to cut the fuel cans down and save a little since diesel is $1.00+ more per gallon around here.
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i use the 326 diesel. i love it. it has a lot of torque. i dont think you could go wrong with the gas, it is really the same machine overall just a different power plant. the gas will probably use more fuel as the diesel sips the fuel. but you would have to ask them a s they would have an idea on that. i will say this, the only drawback at all to these machines is they are a bit heavy and that changes how they perform in wet conditions.
  3. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

What is the price between the two machines. If weight is a concern than I might go gas. Both machines can carry almost 12 gal of fuel on board, I dont see any reason for cans to be hauled around. My diesel will run a couple days before I need to refuel.
  4. LawnScenes

The salesman told me today at their open house that the diesel uses half the amount of fuel compared to the gas mower. Besides it being 300 pounds heavier than the gasoline mower the actual differences we minuscule.

I did a little research last night on the trailer I'm purchasing and will need to upgrade to a tandem axle it seems. With the diesel mower I'll be right around 100 pounds shy of the limit with the mower, blower, trimmer, and push mower with the single axle 6'10"x12' trailer. With the gas engine model that goes to 400 pounds from the limit. Still undecided unfortunately. lol. I can save myself enough money if I purchase the gas mower to upgrade to a tandem axle trailer that's 2' longer and still spend what I originally planned or I can just go all out and spend an extra grand. Such tough choices when buying new toys...
  5. LawnScenes

Barely over $1,000. I get a VERY good deal at this dealership however.
  6. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

i have 3 of the 326 and i woiuld never go back to gas engines again. much more horsepower than it actually says at 26 hp. I even use them as a bushhogg and it doesnt never bog down also I run 121 hour days and barely use 6 gallons of fuel
  7. Toad

I would go with the diesel myself, for only 1000.00 diff. You will be alright with that trailer you have, I think they under rate what they will really haul. Let us know how you make out.

Just another note, I think that 27hp gasser will be to small of an engine for such a big machine. You may be very dissapointed with it over the diesel.My cub cadet has a 27 koh, and It lacks in the power.
  8. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I think 27 hp is plenty. it is a redesigned motor by kubota (kohler inspired). the diesel is $2000-3000 more. The diesel motor is unbeatable (that's why exmark and others also use it) but not sure if it's worth the extra weight and money. also diesel is over a dollar more than gas now.
  9. GrasMstr

GrasMstr LawnSite Member

I picked up 2 new ZD326 on Saturday. Can't wait for the grass to grow here.
    My dealer doesn't even stock any gassers that big. I guess that says something for around here.:canadaflag:
  10. Toad

How did you do on price up there in Canada? Just wondering if you can buy them cheeper up there.