Lawn Care Forum banner

Kubota ZD331 / 72" review (5 years)

60K views 72 replies 21 participants last post by  JunkmanJoe 
#1 ·
Now that it's 5 years later.....

We are starting a switch to Exmark.

The Kubota ZD331 are getting too expensive to buy AND operate.

Over the last 3 years, we have gone through 4 deck gear box assemblies. Kubota welds the bearing to the gear box assembly, so once it's out, it tears out the whole assembly.

I never used to have these issues, but at $1,300 per gear box, it's adding up fast.

The pivot for the casters on the front deck, suck. They have an upper and lower "bushing" but the upper bushing will slide down, therefore not allowing you to get grease through the zirk, as the bushing as slid over the opening.

Over the last 5 years I had this original ZD331 / 72" deck that I traded last fall with 1800 hours. I also have (2) 2008 ZD331 / 60" decks that currently have 1600 and 1700 hours respectively. Then I traded my 72" for a 3rd 60" last fall. This spring at 300 hours, the engine blew, my guys were not checking oil.

Anyways, a new engine is $4,500. We have exhausted any and all resources short of putting a new crate engine in, and all other options are close to the $4,000 mark, so rather than rebuild, I'm going to put a new crate engine in over winter.

For anyone thinking about buying one of these, just be aware that just about ALL of the parts are specific to Kubota it seems, and they are NOT cheap. You are paying a premium for the mower, and you will be paying a premium for the parts.

They are very solid mowers. As stated with my hours above, we did minimal repairs with minimal maintenance. We mow a school district with about 80 acres of turf, and up until this year we mowed the local city with 19 parks, trails and other city owned properties, along with the typical mix of commercial / residential mowing.

I gross about $275k / 6 month season here in MN with straight maintenance, so we do not sit still long when there's no snow.

We are migrating towards Exmarks, for the cut quality, as well as the minimal maintenance. I'm trying to work my way out of the field operations and more of a support/irrigation tech/office type position after 23 years (I'll be 40 in November). The savings in fuel costs are minimal, as we have a local station that sells off road diesel at a discount, and the 29 hp Kawasaki burns about 1.5 gallons per hour.

The Kubotas would run a little more than 3/4 gallon / hour, but not a full gallon per hour.

I did have a decent conversation with my dealer about our leaving Kubota. They were always top notch in service, always getting me in and out, although like most shops, didn't stock alot of parts, so the odd ones we had to wait, or pay airfare.

All in all, it was a good run. To me, the quality is slipping a bit, but it seems like it's always that way when you've been with one company for a period of years. We have the same issues with our own clients. You go in, do your job for 3-5-7-13 years, then all of a sudden they have to change because they think they aren't getting good value. You could be doing the exact same thing, for the exact same money, for the exact same timeframe, but they decide they need a change.

For me, it was all about the money. A new X series Exmark with a suspension seat was $10,500. A new Kubota ZD331, $14,500. I don't have to worry about gear box assemblies on the deck anymore, I don't even really need to worry about grease anymore.

We will see how the change goes.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am doing the same thing although I have only been a Kubota owner since April. It is a nice unit but I am having cut quality issues and that is not acceptable to me. Exmark makes a good machine I think if I was going to go with them I would opt for a EFI machine as every little bit of savings is good. I am actually in the process of demoing equipment now. I am just going to go standers as I mow so many different types of properties that the versitity of them will save me so much time over a rider. Plus I can fit more on a trailer and they weigh half of what the Kubota weighs.
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
I was going to switch over to 331's but was reading too many reports like this and my daughter didn't like the feel of the controls on the 331. We are phasing out the 997's one's gone one more to go. I found the Ferris 5100 and 2500 have a good suspension system for the rough terrain of our schools. The operators will stay out longer during the day. they don't get as fatigued when they have the suspension. The belt drive from PTO to deck is a bit of a problem but I may have found a solution for that, time will tell. Dealer support here is good and I can often find after market parts. Like you I am getting to old for mowing duty and run office and repairs now

#4 ·
Is it me or is it that I am getting sticker shock on diesel powered mowers. Even the gas mowers are really high in this economy. I also noticed on Dixie Choppers web site that there diesel mower has been discontinued is that from lack of sales or is the tier 4 thing getting the diesel powered mowers?

#7 ·
funny, we have had many kubotas, with those kind of hours(the last ones we are selling have 1200 hrs) and have never had any issues. it is about maintenance, and i think you might have even admitted to lack of on your part. not sure how you can justfy kubota not being good, if you treat it so badly. good luck though not having issues with any brand, cuz each has theirs

#8 ·
I have a ZD331 with the 60 inch. 1800 hours on it. The lower pto gear box seal went out and we didnt catch it, so the bearings went out. I replaced the bearings ( the bearings are not welded to the gearbox) and seals, which lasted about another 200 hours and it failed again. So I bought a new box from dealer for less than $1000. I also have a ZD21 with over 2000 hours and have had no trouble with it.
The gear box failure I take full responsibility, for not catching the leaking seal. I suggest you do the same for an engine failure.

#9 ·
Apparently the deck gearbox on the Kubotas is the weak link on that mower. I almost bought one with only 65 hours from a friend, but after doing a little research I find several with failed gearboxes. I am looking for another diesel(currently have a John Deere 997) but am not happy with the JD warranty. Had some small issues but JD wouldn't cover them. Might go with a Scag in the future. Any other diesels you guys using?

#11 ·
When we first got the 997 we noticed the left front wheel wobbled at transport speed on the driveway. But, it being spring and with 113 acres to keep mowed, we didn't give it much thought. By the time we had 100 or so hours on it the tire tread was gone from it wobbling and spinning around. We mentioned it to the dealer when we went to get blades and we were told that we should have told them when we first got it. They pulled the assembly and stated that it was bent. Now keep in mind this is a 2 inch forged steel shaft. They never accused us of bending it( you would have to drop the 1800 lb. mower about twenty feet onto the front wheel to cause it to bend), but just stated it wouldn't be covered under warranty because we didn't bring it to there attention when we first noticed a problem?! We spoke to a factory rep and I asked him about it and he stated that he would "take a look at it", but he never got back to us on it. We then started having the same issue with the other front wheel, so we took it and they looked at it and found no problem. About a month later the bearings went out on that wheel and it destroyed the races so badly they could not replace them. Had to put a whole new bearing housing on the front end for $1100.00! They said it looked like we hit a curb with it. We live on a farm, there are no curbs! Then one of the quick release bolts on the ROP stripped out and we were told that stripped bolts are not covered!? So, basically, nothing is covered on a new John Deere! But they were quick to let us know that the new ones come with a 3 year warranty! I love the mowers cut and the power is great, but when I spend $15000.00 on a piece of equipment I don't want to hear excuses about my warranty not covering something because we didn't tell them in time?! What, is this a game? If you didn't tell me when you first saw it, it isn't covered....And then for the factory rep to just blow us off....I'm looking for something else that has a REAL WARRANTY! JD can kiss my money goodbye!!

#12 ·
So, basically, nothing is covered on a new John Deere! But they were quick to let us know that the new ones come with a 3 year warranty! I love the mowers cut and the power is great, but when I spend $15000.00 on a piece of equipment I don't want to hear excuses about my warranty not covering something because we didn't tell them in time?! What, is this a game? If you didn't tell me when you first saw it, it isn't covered....And then for the factory rep to just blow us off....I'm looking for something else that has a REAL WARRANTY! JD can kiss my money goodbye!!
Its not just Deere... My redmax blower needs a rebuild, took it to the dealer and they wouldnt cover it. Told me it wasnt worth fixing buy a new one. I asked them a few questions on what would be covered. It came down to manufacture defects. I went to stihl talked to them and got the same feedback. So I just bought a used blower. Whats the difference? If every problem is going to be blamed on the end user. Theres no point in buying new unless you like shiny stuff.

#13 ·
Its not just Deere... My redmax blower needs a rebuild, took it to the dealer and they wouldnt cover it. Told me it wasnt worth fixing buy a new one. I asked them a few questions on what would be covered. It came down to manufacture defects. I went to stihl talked to them and got the same feedback. So I just bought a used blower. Whats the difference? If every problem is going to be blamed on the end user. Theres no point in buying new unless you like shiny stuff.
I agree. That's why I was considering the used Kubota. I could have bought it for $6500.00. That's about 3 grand off the MSRP. Figured I'd let somebody else take the depreciation. Glad I found out about the deck gearbox problems though. $1200.00 for a gearbox that's gonna fail again is a bit much. I'll keep looking....

#15 ·
We run into the kubota alot carrying the grasshopper. The grasshopper seems to be alot more mower for theyou price and have the kubota diesel for engine which is great. Gearbox for the hopper is like $227... i have mowed with alot of mowers and the diesel hopper is a really nice setup. I have a 325d with a 4x rear discharge, suspension forks, trimmaster roller wheels on both sides of deck, bar lug tires, hd rear bumper, and it is absolutely my favorite mower to mow my yard right now. If i was cutting again i would have to have a side discharge too for the really wet mornings... talking to other dealers they seem to work on the hoppers less than other mowers. We have kubota dealers that sell hoppers around here too that say that...
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Jfly37
#17 ·
430d is their top of the line same motor as the 331 bota. Retail is over $17000, but we sell between 14700 and 15000 here. Price varies per dealer. No pay till april 0% for 48 months, or they have a layaway where u buy today with $600 down and dont have to take delivery till april. They give you $600 off accessories that way. 3 year full commercial warranty, they are great machines. 430 has power deck with foot assist. Thing with hopper is they make alot of their parts in house like spindles etc and not outsourced so they perform better and last longer. Love the front roll on the deck too....
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
I agree. That's why I was considering the used Kubota. I could have bought it for $6500.00. That's about 3 grand off the MSRP. Figured I'd let somebody else take the depreciation. Glad I found out about the deck gearbox problems though. $1200.00 for a gearbox that's gonna fail again is a bit much. I'll keep looking....
To this whole gearbox thing I got 900 hrs on mine. Its called changing the oil. After the first 50hrs after buying a new one, and 400hrs there after. Then if he would of got the 4yr waranty then he would of not had to payfor it.
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·
Here is the deal with kubota they let anybody be certified so a hopper dealed is usually always kubota certified... here is the deal with badboy... they do things waay different. They throw alot of mower in for the price and dont add alot of extras into the price. For example the badboy offers a 4 cylinder 35hp engine 18 gallon tanks, 5 guage deck, 4 rail frame, a better ride than most with the grammer standard and then the suspension system, 15mph for $13499. No mower company is perfect, but they all have neat things to offer different from everyone else. To alot of shoppers here the badboy completely blows away when comparing then the price is better. If financing the bota seems better cause the 0% for 60, but then they eat ur arm off on parts and service. Hopper benefit is the resale. I have seen a hopper bought for $12000. And 3 years later bring $10000. I personally bought a 722d, used it for 400 hours and sold it to a guy in north carolina and made $1000... hopper seems to look better than other mowers after used due to the color. Scag, gravely, badboy kubota exmark, hustler, bobcat, etc seem to look rougher after used commercially mainly cause the bright paints i guess. To some people here the hopper is the better buy, to some the badboy. We sold more badboys this year than anyone in the world, so they do better than any brand here by a long shot in volume sales, if i was a betting man i would bet i am up there in volume as one of the largest dealers around because i sell so many badboys alone. Another thing to consider is cat not letting dealers do warranty so an engine warranty has to go through cat. I have only had one issue in 5 years it was a governor, but peace of mind if something does break... i think bagging the hopper 25b is a huge catcher and prolly one of the best out, just delivered one last week. Here when people demo the mowers they go back to the badboy alot due to the ride, open access to unit, options, build, grammer seat standard, and speed. Things that turn off are the race car look, all the publicity they get (more publicity is not always good as they are one of the most talked about brands right now), the way you will buy mower this year and it will have improvements next (they refine it seems yearly due to listening to feedback heavily). Grasshopper is the oldest commercial mower here in operation, they have a huge cult following here, i was mangling our market with the badboys with huge focus on speed in shop, price, parts, and customer service. I chose hopper for a high end line to build the market back up for them sense they were already strong here, plus they have amazing warranty now and great financing options. I have everyone wanting me to carry their mowers now, but i favored the grasshopper when demoing over the exmark, toro, scag, gravely, etc. They are so different of a mower than the streamline brands its crazy, where badboy eats all their lunch in value when comparing and i didnt want the same ole thing...
Posted via Mobile Device

#22 ·
To this whole gearbox thing I got 900 hrs on mine. Its called changing the oil. After the first 50hrs after buying a new one, and 400hrs there after. Then if he would of got the 4yr waranty then he would of not had to payfor it.
Posted via Mobile Device
The bottom line is, I don't hear of other mowers having the same defect. I was looking for used Kubota's on Craigslist and found three that were being sold with broken deck gearboxes.

#23 ·
The bottom line is, I don't hear of other mowers having the same defect. I was looking for used Kubota's on Craigslist and found three that were being sold with broken deck gearboxes.
That's because only grasshopper, jd, and kubota have gear boxes. My GH blew it at 1600 hrs along with the drive shaft, bearing, and the main shaft. Price tag for that is close to a grand and add the pto clutch that went out to that's over a grand. 997 I don't know enough about to say.
Posted via Mobile Device

#24 · (Edited)
Going back to publicity i scanned facebook just now. Badboy has 6900 likes, bota 10, exmark and scag had 4900, grasshopper i cant member but seems like it was less than 1000, hustler had 1000, etc. Online and in the market badboy is talked about more than any other brand has ever been, and the company grows every year including last year that was a horrible drought year. I know facebook not everyone uses, but that is just one media outlet to compare. I see badboy commercials during the dallas cowboys, at the rangers games, on nascar, during pbr rodeos, i think they have one the more agressive marketing programs the industry has ever seen. Again high publicity has both positive and negative, there are companies that stay out of the limelight therefore we dont hear negatives alot like zipper, walker, kawasaki handhelds...etc.. should have just pm'd webel...i am long winded lol
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 · (Edited)
That's because only grasshopper, jd, and kubota have gear boxes. My GH blew it at 1600 hrs along with the drive shaft, bearing, and the main shaft. Price tag for that is close to a grand and add the pto clutch that went out to that's over a grand. 997 I don't know enough about to say.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats what bothers me about different dealers pricing, gearbox is $227, shaft is around $150, those bearings are $11.99 there is 2 of them, hour of labor, and the clutch is $200 to $320the depending on which one u had... repair should've been like $700 to $800 or so...

#26 ·
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats what bothers me about different dealers pricing, gearbox is $227, shaft is around $150, those bearings are $11.99 there is 2 of them, hour of labor, and the clutch is $200 to $320the depending on which one u had... repair should've been like $700 to $800 or so...
Plus the main shaft that runs front to back which was like $120 or something, plus shipping and taxes, and driving to the dealer back and forth because it all went out over a 100 hour period. What I'm getting at is one gear box even at 1500 or so hrs is better than that or an engine on a gas mower and this is the first I've heard of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.