Kubota ZD331 / 72" review after 150 hours (extensive).

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Jun 24, 2007.

1. fhaith

fhaith LawnSite Member

May be somthing a mater with my front wheels it is not 4 wheel drive it is manely left front i am just a home owner that want a big pice of euq.
  2. kpc007

kpc007 LawnSite Member

Jack the deck up like you were going to change blades and see if the wheel turns freely. If not, lube it and spin the spindle till its free. If that doesn't correct the problem, contact the dealer and get it fixed. Those front tires should never scalp the turf.:nono:
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

No... Kubota just missed the boat on balancing this machine out properly.

Many 72" mowers are the best on slopes in the entire lineup with some brands.

That 72" Kubota is just long and front heavy.
    You could try adding a counter weight to the rear of the machine and loading the tires.
    But as I understand it, these machines are already extremely heavy... so...

For kicks, I'd like for you to take out a Grasshopper 428D/72 or a Scag Sabre Tooth Tiger.
  4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

my brother has the 326 w/ 60" deck, I used it for a day and almost tore every turn. and I'm used to v-trad tires on my grasshopper. Since they are 26's, you should look at the ultra trac 26-13-12 or 26x14x12, those will fit on 12" rims and widen your stance, and have less agressive tread and come in 4 or 6-ply. they are run on lots of golf course equipment and tear less.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

6. LwnmwrMan22

Yes, I've run those tires before on a different machine, my Toro that I had a period ago.

By biggest concern, if I get something with an even less agressive tread, that it'll be almost impossible to have this machine on any sort of hillside at all, that it will just slide.

Like I said previously, I'd hate to put $300 +/- into a set of these tires, use them for about 20' on a hill and realize they don't hold at all, and be stuck with them.

I suppose I could just get used to using the 60" for all the hills, even if it means either loading everything back up, driving 1/4 mile, unloading everything in the trailer to get to the 60" or driving 1/4 mile back to the trailer, getting the 60" out, driving back, doing the hill, then driving back to the trailer.

There's just a couple of situations where it turns out this is the way things fall, guess I COULD just learn to live with it????
  7. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed the 326 -60 and it never tore turf at all.

8. kpc007

kpc007 LawnSite Member

It certainly does'nt do it on its own. I think every Z does it from time to time. Its just their nature to respond to operator, equipment, and environmental conditions. I expect a certain amount of slippage and tearing based on how hard I push the machine. Actually, now that I think about it, I slipped more while using the weedeater cutting some of my hills. :rolleyes: The only thing that holds better on my hills is my 4 wheel drive tractor with filled tires but man does it tear up the turf when I turn. Its a balancing act I guess.

The Kubota 326P (60") was the best on I demo'ed on my property. The others weren't even close to the 326 overall performance.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

Another concern that should be addressed is the roll bar situation.

90% of us are going to be running with the roll bar folded down. What stinks is that you have to then lift the roll bar in order to open the hood, it won't open if it's folded down.
  10. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... So, the roll bar is NOT the same on the ZD 331 as on the ZD 28! At least on the ZD 28 you can open the hood with the roll bar folded. What a Bummer.