Kubota ZD331 / 72" review after 150 hours (extensive).

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Jun 24, 2007.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

oh yeah, it is kinda weird. the old decks on the zd 28 did not cut as clean but shot it out a little better and would pick up wet clumps in a double cut better. but the new decks cut way better and way faster.

2. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

So is this the best diesel 72" mower on the market? I am thinking it is but I want your opinions.

3. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

I have over 200hrs on my ZD331 72. Nothin but :) for me. I would buy another if my buisness had the accounts. I cut my time down , and fuel consumption so much that I can take on much more work at this point.
    Alot of the issues talked about in this post are right on. Most are nit picky and not really bothersome. The machine is heavy, and will tear turf if not driven by someone with experience. Even with experience you need to enhance your driving skills. Wet and soggy conditions are not for the ZD. I use my smaller mower , the tank, for such situations. Cut quality is great, and the stripping roller lays out a nice stripe. (Attachment.) And also Im not shure what some folks wer talkin about as far as grass discharge, but seems to me the deeper and wetter the grass the farther this monster throws the stuff .:) Power to performance is outstanding,with the 31 hp diesel having plenty of power. Ride is great , compared to smaller Zs.
    I just wish I could mount a snowblower to it at this point!!!!!!!!!

4. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

lawnmowerman-What kind of service did you get out of your IS4000? I had one in 00' and had so many problems that I had to sell it back to the factory-you wouldn't believe my story. However, the mower rode like a dream and I've been on nothing since that even compares. I'd love to have another Ferris if I felt like I'd get good service.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

There's a reason I'm strictly Kubota now, even though the same dealer sells Ferris.

I'm in the same boat as you, just can't get myself to run them again, except for the walkbehind I have.

6. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I had mine in the shop 10 times within 2.5 mos. and it had only 83 hrs. when I sold it back. The flywheel actually came off the back of the 31 and seized the engine as a last straw. The company didn't seem very worried about my problems either. The suspension was their greatest asset. I've looked at the Kubota and would like to try one but, no one runs Kubota around here, even though we have a great dealer-that's always a red flag.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

No one really runs Kubota around here either, we're right in the middle of Toro and John Deere country.

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i am the only one here, but that does not stop me, everyone here uses exmark or jd or scag. i have tried all and dont see any benefit over any of them, and prefer the kubota. just because not that many others arent using it does not mean it is bad, or are you strictly a follower!?!?!

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys... what is the blade length and center hole size for Kubota blades?

10. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... Envy, I am willing to bet it is anything BUT standard. That seems to be the way it is with Kubota :(.