Kubota ZD331 Rear Main Seal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MSS Mow, Jul 27, 2011.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Has anyone else had an issue with the rear main seal on their Kubota ZD331's??? I've had 3 of the mowers, and have had to replace the rear main seal on all 3 now. This last time the mower had less than 200 hours on it. Several bolts were loose and one was cross threaded. I can't imagine it's anything other than factory screwup. Anyone else have similar problems??

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

Had one leak from factory not completing the gasket sealer on the entire seam.and one just had a couple loose bolts.nothing big and still holding well
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds kinda like the rear main seal guy missed the class on how to tighten bolts and how to put rtv on.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I hope tuffram don't see this thread. Hearing that about a Kubota diesel might kill him.:laugh::laugh:

5. MSS Mow

from Maine

I guess I consider it a bigger deal since this is the 3rd machine in a row that it has happened to for me, plus I'm 2+ hours away from my dealer so it's a blown day to take it in for repair, plus $80 in gas every time. To add insult to injury, the tech forgot to tighten a radiator hose clamp so the engine was completely doused with antifreeze when that fell off. Not too mention the down time to go get a gallon of antifreeze.

6. tuffram

tuffram LawnSite Senior Member

A little leaking oil is nothing to kill me. They are still bulletproof engines. Just because someone was sick on gasket day does not mean the engine has problems. My experience with diesel engines is that most of them will leak a little oil it is just to be expected with a diesel. I bought a new Ford F250 in 2004 had the 6.0 Power Stroke and it started leaking oil after the first month I had it.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I was just teasin' ya 'cause I know you like 'em.

I will say this however- I have owned several Yanmar's now, some for 10 years or so, and none have ever leaked a drop, or burned any oil for that matter. In fact, so far I have never had one thing go wrong on one (now that I have said that, something probably will). That is another reason I am so fond of them.

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i know it is not common for them to leak like that, especially three in a row.

sorry for your headaches

9. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

MSS Mow, Did you ever resolve your rear main leaking issue. Do you know what caused the leak?
    I have a 331 with about 400 hours and the rear main is leaking. Going to take to dealer and have it replaced.
    Damn.

10. MSS Mow

from Maine

The 3rd time appeared to be a factory screwup as there were several bolts that were loose and cross threaded. Once changed, I haven't had any more trouble with it. Let me know how you make out.