Kubota ZD331D vs. JD997D

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by capt777, Mar 18, 2007.

1. capt777

capt777 LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a new 72" diesle zt. I own 2 Horse farms in Maryland. One farm has about 30 acres to cut and the other about 25, thick grass. Like all the added features and value of the Kubota over the JD, test drove the kubota at the dealer very nice machine awsome seat, like the hydro deck controls and foot parking brake and seems like it is put together better than the JD,the thing that concerns me is that one piece tranny. Both 31 HP Kubota(1261cc) vs. Yanmar(1331cc). Will be demo-ing the JD this week on my farm. Also might Demo the Dixie Chopper 35hp Yanmar. Does any one out their have any experiance with these machines.:usflag:

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've run the Kubota ZD series for 4 years (since 2003).

Personally, I've never had any issues with the tranny, other than my first one, I could get on a 'steep' hill and it would sometimes not want to turn up the hill as I was going across.

I found out that there was an update, took it to the dealer, they put the update in, and Kubota warrantied the transmission for another 2 years, for 4 years total.

I'm MOST likely buying a new 331 / 72" this spring, in fact the dealer got it in yesterday. There's many things that are better with the new Kubota series than the previous ZD 21/25/28 series that, even though my older ZD has 1400 hours on it, that I'm going to move it and buy a new one.

The seat alone, IMO, is worth it, although I'm sure I could buy a seat and figure out a way to put it on my ZD's I currently own.

But the fact that now the height adjustment is 1/4" instead of the previous 1/2" adjustments.

Also, there's a 'trap door' in the foot pad to easily access the grease fittings for the drive shaft of the mower deck.

The fact that it now has dual fuel tanks.

The deck is deeper, so it SHOULD have better capacity for the grass.

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I demoed both and liked the Kubota better had a smother transmission and my dealer had the best price that I could find on a ZD331 at I believe $11300 there is a $500 instant rebate from Kubota and Ill be getting one by summer I only got to drive them around not cutting grass cause there was Ice all over but they are gonna let me take 1 for a couple days in April

If you are in annapolis its only a couple hours to my dealer if you cant geta good $$ There name is Roorks Farm Supply (856)358-3100

4. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

I have personaly not been on 997 but I do own a 797 and I LOVE it. All the updates descdribed on the Kubota are standard on my 797. It has the trap door, 1/4" adjustments and it has a thick padded seat.

As far as quality I dont think you can go wrong with JD IMHO. The 7 iron deck is probly one of the best on the market. My 797 is a Tank! It is 2 years old and has never been in the shop.

But you should also take into consideration which dealer will give you the best service. I would nat buy a Kubota because our local dealer is just not that great, takes forever to fix things.

All of this is JMHO.

5. poonero

poonero LawnSite Member
    from ny

the changes that kubota are making are to equal the thing that jd already has. i wish jd would follow kubotas lead and offer a complete line of z-turn diesels. the 997 is a monster and only good for someone with a 30 acre farm.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Two questions for you.

1) Is that price on a 72" deck?? Or 60" deck under that 331??

2) Is that price before or after the $500 rebate??

I'm asking, because that's lower than ANYTHING I've seen. My own dealer, who I buy a new mower from every other year is coming in at $12,5 for the 60" deck, AFTER tax, AFTER rebate. The 72" deck is $12,9 AFTER tax, AFTER rebate.

7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Thats 60" I believe its after rebate they had 2 in stock last week want one baad but having a hard time with the weight need to mow a few lawns to tell for sure it is very heavy

That price did not include 3.5% tax I know that for sure

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ain't even no question... Kubota's new ZD.

6.5" deep deck.

Many deck baffling options.

Big Kubota diesel engines.

Revamped hydro system.

Lots of nice new features.

It also seems that Kubota has kept a clean record of standing behind what issues they did have.

9. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

Hey LwnmwrMan22, What is the price on a 72 inch 331, before sales tax?

10. capt777

capt777 LawnSite Member

I was quoted 12,700.00 on the Kubota 331 72" then 500 off with rebait making it 12,200.00 before tax. The 997 72" was 13,300.00 before tax.