Kubota ZD's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tall Rider, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Tall Rider

Tall Rider LawnSite Member

What do you guys think of Kubota's ZD mowers. Specifically the ZD21 pro. From what I have seen they must be built like a brick outhouse. I would like to get into the business and my other choice would be a grasshopper. Between the two which do you think is better :help:

2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 21 and a 28. Very nice and well built.
    Lasts a long time with that diesel.

3. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

Can't say anything bad about the kubota. The Grasshopper I owned ten years ago did a great job trimming but the thing threw grass all over you when you mowed. If you are in the business, I suppose that is OK but I never appreciated it. By the way, the hopper was 18 hp, underpowered with 5' deck.

4. malojeer

malojeer LawnSite Member

i bought a 223 grashopper,very satisfied, holds the hills real good, very easy to maintain and easy to work on.no problems,tried the kubota and did not like the intergrated pump and motor unit. expensive to repair.GH 23 hp Kohler 52" deck.Cut in a cow pasture with grass about 16" went thru without any bogging down, seems to have plenty enough power.Will not buy anything else

5. duramaximizer

duramaximizer LawnSite Member

ok this is my first post so i will intro myself, i am Adam and I am only 19. My dad got a ZD21PRO that I put the majority of hours on. it is a 2003 i think with 13? hours on it. It works great. Also it is awesome on hills for a zero turn midmount.

On EDIT: I was trying to get dad to possibly trade. What do you think ours is worth. It has been excellently maintained. The dealer won't give us anything trade wise for it. you think we can get 9000 out of it?

6. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

damn, sonny $9,000 way to high...................

last year i purchased 2- gravely pm260z, 60"cut, diesel paid $9,500 each

kubota~~~~ is always way to high..............period

plus your dealer, probably wants to give you only $7,000 if that

:cool2: :cool2: :blob3: :blob3: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

7. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

I assume those Gravely's were new?

8. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

I would think the 23 HP with a 52" would be plenty of power. I would also agree that they are easy to work on and comfortable. My only complaint is the front mounted deck, not only does it throw grass up and over onto itself (and operator) but it also stretches the length of the machine considerably.

On the plus side, trimming is easier and the range of motion on the deck is greater from front to rear. In addition the longer wheelbase with three sets of wheels makes for a more comfortable ride.

9. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

bayrat,
    of course they we're NEW............................

10. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Less than 2 years ago I bought a new ZD-21 PRO for $9500 so the price is too high. I can still buy a new one for $10,000. I just purchased a new ZD-28 2 days ago for $11,000.
    Our 2 year old ZD has 1100 hours on it, works and looks great, and I have it for sale to upgrade to another 28. Price---$6750.
    Oh yeah...the Kubotas are worth the extra money folks if you have never owned one. Ths new one makes the 10th Kubota for me.
    Love 'em!!