"Kubota Zero Turn Problems"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daner, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Kubota Rep coming down to my shop to try to fix some Issues that I have experienced with my ZD28.
    What kind of problems have you had with your Kubota?
    Streaking?
    Stiff sticks?
    Tranny?
    Cut Quality?
    Let Us hear your experience with your Kubota...Good or bad.

2. KUBOTADAN

KUBOTADAN LawnSite Member

My zd-18 had very stiff sticks. It would wear you out by the end of the day. Kubota could not find a problem. told me to live with it.
    Had a deck problem with the Pro deck, could not level, had a stamped deck put on worked fine. That's it. I still prefer Kubota to others. I have a Hustler Super Z diesel been in the shop 5 times with less than 70 hrs. Inj. pump, out of time, leaking hyd line, hyd values (2) times. May trade for a zd-28

3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

My ONLY complaint is the stiff sticks and slightly uncomfortable seat bottom.

Other than those issues, I go to the Webster's dictionary and look up the word "smooth" and every time there is a photo of my ZD21 Kubota Diesel. :weightlifter: :usflag:

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a bad bearing on my ZD21 at 200 hours, factory sent complete new transaxle. That was 5 years ago, zero trouble since. ZD28 , new this spring, Zero faults.

5. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

If your control levers are stiff you probably need new hydro pumps my zd28 w/pro72" deck has had 3 new hydro pumps installed. Every time I noticed that the control sticks were getting harder and harder to push If yours is still under warranty have this checked out. They will need to take the pumps completly apart to find the problem my dealer did not find it the first time but your area rep should be aware of this problem. This is probably one of the reasons that they upgraded the pumps for next year 07 this also made the machine a little faster. The deeper deck should help with or eliminate the streaking that some are noticing. I have had no switch of electrical type problems. with my zd28 which is a real treat after some other mowers I have owned.

6. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

My ZD21 is one of the first made. It has the stamped steel deck. The Kubota has been excellent with two exceptions. One was a broken steel hydraulic line at just past the warranty period. The line cost $300 to repair, including mower pickup and delivery.

The other problem came within the first month of use and was a transmission breather that blew off for no apparent reason. The new breather cost me nothing because a few were slightly misfitted. The factory provided a new hydrostatic drive filter and lots of the premium Kubota hydraulic fluid.

I would buy the same brand again. It rides well over our rough terrain, chops up small branches and tree trimmings without complaint, and is a joy to operate. We've had no pump problems, but I agree that Kubota must have had a reason to redesign their hydrostatic drive system.

Potential buyers should be aware that the advertised horsepower exaggerates, as on most mowers. The true horsepower is that which is available at maximum governed engine speed as installed on the particular mower. For most Kubota ZD models, it is 3200 RPM. For the largest-engined 2007 model, max speed is 3000 RPM with the others remaining at 3200 RPM. An engine tag on the engine itself tells the true available power, measured in Kilowatts. To determine power using our familiar horsepower measurements, multiply by 1.341.