Kubota ZG 20 vs Cub Tank M48 - Cut Quality

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdlynch, May 25, 2006.

1. jdlynch

jdlynch LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Based upon the recommendations of many here, I have chosen to purchase a ZTR from my local shop that will provide the best service. That leaves me to decide between the brands that he sells; Cub Cadet, Kubota and Great Dane. I have ruled out Great Dane due to the negative feedback I have seen here.

This is for my own residence, by the way.

I am deciding between the Tank M48 and the Kubota ZG20. I like the quality and handling of the Kubota. My main concern, though, is cut quality.

I have turf fescue, that I keep well manicured. I plan on mulching to prevent blowing grass into landscape beds.

Does anyone have any comments as to how either of these mowers will perform on a well manicured turf fescue lawn (in the mid-west), especially when mulching? Any other comments on these will be appreciated.

Thanks for all the good advice here.
    David

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have 3 cub TANKS, 2 60"s and a 72" GREAT MOWERS IMO. I'm sure the 48 is just as good!!!:waving:

3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I can only comment on the Tank. Mine is a 54" and I am satisfied with the cut and mower itself.

4. parttimer

parttimer LawnSite Member

Im running a 48 and 60 lesco which is the came thing and they are great you will like the cut also . Both have around 250hrs and no problems.:usflag:

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll my new M48 doesnt cut very good. I am sure it has to do with the deck needing adjustment but I cant seem to get it in the sweet spot. I have been talking about this issue with Envy lawn service on here and he assures me my problem has to do with the deck not being set up properly. I know him and Wriken absolutely love there cut tanks.

Here are some pics so you can see the cut of my M48

In this pic it was a single pass with freshly sharpened blades

[​IMG]

In this picture I double cut because it is so deep and thick. I had to do this with our lazer also so it wasnt a big deal. The double cut gets rid of the problem you see in the first picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jdlynch

jdlynch LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the feedback.

Prostreet, good luck getting the leveling issue resolved. I hope that is all it is causing your problem. I have spoken to Envy and, yes, he loves his M48 and thinks it cuts as well as his Lazer.

Does anyone have any comments on the Kubota ZG?