Kubota ZG 227 Mystery

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ed Donahue, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Ed Donahue

Ed Donahue LawnSite Member

My 2008 227 is great, except when hitting a "bump" that shuts down the engine. All saftey swithes work, and the mystery is that the engine turns over, but does not start. Waiting an hour or so, the engine starts. This has mistified the dealer as well............

2. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

you sure you don't have a bad mercury switch?

3. Ed Donahue

Thanks, possible good solution to mystery. I wall thinking that one of the saftey switches cut out engine and flooded it. Did pull one plug, looked possible, cleaned & replaced--still did not start. The mercury switch may be it , will check it out. Thank you.

4. A-1 LAWN

A-1 LAWN LawnSite Member
    from kansas

coil.if it starts and runs good.suddenly dies after hot,then starts when cool,coil. good luck having a kubota dealer working on it!!

5. cut level

cut level LawnSite Senior Member

A-1 I never have a problem with Kubota dealers
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. A-1 LAWN

A-1 LAWN LawnSite Member
    from kansas

good to hear you have had good luck! my experience with kubota corp and my local dealer was a bunch of ***** I have owned many kubotas,after my last experience never again!!

7. Ed Donahue

Almost Zero luck out here on west coast with Kubota dealer answering questions, actually zero for anwers on the "mistery". note much help at all, depend on groups like this on web to really understand Kubota problems.

8. Ed Donahue

Not sure previous response got through. But zero luck with Kubota dealers out here; depend on web site like this for help from those who may care.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Assuming you really did make sure that none of the safety switches are at fault, I would second the coil diagnosis.

There exists a way to check a coil with an ohm meter, the testing procedure is available
    online but it's not for everybody, some people get it, some don't (for example I don't).
    Unfortunately without a specific coil test, the only way to find out for sure is to replace it with a known working one.

Here's a link to an ohm coil bench test but of course:
    *You'll need the resistance specifications for your specific coil in order to perform this test.
    Consult your service manual for this information.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/troubleshooting/ss/coil-test-ohm.htm

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  10. Ed Donahue

Thanks for advice. Will check coil and double check on saftey switches. Will post if the "mystery" is solved. Not sure though if this is it as the unit will only stop when "bottoming out" so to speak as rough terrain at higher speeds does not affect it.