Kubota ZG20 20hp Kohler Command won't start.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Duncan90si, May 28, 2007.

1. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

I turn the key and nothing happens at all. Seems to be an electrical problem. I jumped power directly to the starter with the key in the on position, and it cranked over but wouldn't start. It seems to be a bad safety switch or relay or something along those lines. I checked for loose, dirty or disconnected plugs or blown fuses and came up empty. This thing is really irritating me beyond belief. :angry: Any suggestions or advice. I'll be calling the service department first thing in the morning.

2. EMTDUCK1984

EMTDUCK1984 LawnSite Member

check the fuses before anything

3. Duncan90si

There is one fuse that I see, and its good. I think its either the parking brake switch or one of the lever switches.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Unplug each switch and use a multimeter to test, Or install a short jumper wire on each switch connector and see if it starts.

5. Duncan90si

This thing has me puzzled. I always work on my own equipment but I think I might have to break down and take it to the dealer and let them piss with it.
    I don't have a multimeter at my house unfortunately. The lever switches and the parking brake switch all have 4 wires going to them. They aren't just a simple 2 wire sensor. I have tested both lever switches and the parking brake switch along with the seat switch with a test light and none of them are getting power. So I can't jump them if I'm not getting any power. There is no "main fuse" coming off of the battery and the battery has a charge. I tried a different ignition switch and no luck there. If you have the parking brake on and you fold the levers inward, after 3 seconds, it has a stupid safety device that kills the motor. It could be something with that also. After I do have this figured out, every single safety switch will be getting bypassed. I just can't get any power to them now to be able to know how to bypass them all. I absolutely hate this kind of stuff. Especially, when I need to be using it tomorrow. I'm going to keep scratching my head and hope that one of you guys or the dealer knows something I don't. Thanks for the help so far guys, I appreciate it.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to suggest something but best take it in.

7. EMTDUCK1984

try taking the kill wire off at the engine and then jump the solenoid if it starts then you have safety issues

8. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys doesn't this also have a float/fuel flow solenoid? Shouldn't he check to see it he has power to this? just my 2 cents / trying to help.

9. EMTDUCK1984

some models do and some dont just depends on how the mower manufacture wanted it

10. Duncan90si

I'll check those things first thing in the morning. I just hate to take it to the dealer and pay their outrageous labor rates, especially if it takes the mechanic a few too many hours to diagnose the problem. (the local dealer here is notorious for being slow as he!! and as a result high repair bills) I know that if I take it to the dealer it will be there 1-2 weeks minimum. I might be better off to buy one of every switch and just change them one by one till the darn thing starts. Or I might take it to the Kubota dealer thats about an hour away. I'll sleep on it and see what I can do in the morning.