Kubota ZG20, Exmark or Hustler Experience

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by srlinc1, Apr 15, 2007.

1. srlinc1

srlinc1 LawnSite Member

I am a home owner with a little less than an acre to mow. I am looking for a ZTR, and have Kubota, Exmark and Hustler dealers in my area. My main reason for looking at the ZTR is for reducing time to cut the lawn. My 2nd reason and probably more important than speed, but not by much is that I don't want to bag the grass anymore due to not having an easy way to get rid of it. I currently have a Honda riding mower with 14 HP, 38 inch deck, and have to bag the grass. Tried the mulching attachment, but the clippings sit on top and needless to say drive me nuts. Which machine would you guys recommend for giving the best finished mulching results while providing speed as well. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

Demo all of them. I can't give you experience on anything but Exmark, which does really well. Each dealer in the area should be willing to let you try a machine to see for yourself wich fits your applications the best.

3. srlinc1

srlinc1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response CCB. I ended up purchasing a Toro Z Master Z400 48/19 Kaw. Demo comparison is difficult in MA this spring because the grass has not started growing yet. It has been a miserable, cold, good old New England spring here this year. Payback for a mild winter. So much for global warming!.

Anyhow, based on the feedback on this forum and from my local dealers, for a top quality machine for my residential application, I felt the Z400 fit the bill (Paid $5899.00). I will not know for sure until I can cut grass, but all indications are positive.

4. svtran

svtran LawnSite Member

So far, how do you like the Toro Z Master Z400 48"/19HP Kaw? I am looking at the same and trying to compare it with the Gravely 152M (52"/23HP Koeh). The Toro was more comfortable to ride because of the spring loaded sit. The dealer gave me a quote of $6150 but I think that it was the Z500 by mistake. The Gravely 152M was on clearance for $5400 (mrsp $7400) and seems to be a heck of a deal.

Anyone with experience on Gravely?

5. srlinc1

srlinc1 LawnSite Member

Sorry, I cannot comment on the Gravely. My Z400 was deliverd Sat, 4/21. I still have not had a chance to cut the grass, which will really tell me if it is doing what I bought it for (decrease time to cut and eliminate the need to bag leaving a profession look when done). What I would offer is you can never have too much horsepower. I paid 6400 and change for the Z400 with nonpowered bagger. Toro is currently running a special which includes a free upgraded seat ($499 value). It makes the machine that much more comfortable. Good luck!

6. svtran

svtran LawnSite Member

Thanks, I got to make a decision this weekend. It's going to between Gravely, Toro, and possibly Hustler (test drive this weekend).