Kubota ZG20

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xprmntl1, Feb 11, 2004.

1. xprmntl1

xprmntl1 LawnSite Member

I am a newbie with a question, I realize the new Kubota gas ZTR's are new this year but I have a few questions. I have been looking at this mower and the Exmark Lazer 48 and the Cub Cadet 48 tank? They are all close in price but the kubota's blade tip speed is much slower (15800) compared to 18000 plus. The Kubota's deck is shaft driven but I believe the others are not. Is the slower speed due to the shaft drive and will this make cutting taller grass harder?

BTW, after reading many of the posts on this forum it seems like Exmark is the most popular, is this due to reliability?

Thanks in advance!

2. carlsmower

carlsmower LawnSite Member

go with a proven performer

3. xprmntl1

xprmntl1 LawnSite Member

And that would be?

4. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

I have a Kubota z turn with a 60in deck. I think it runs great and cuts well in any kind of grass. I mean you can only cut grass with any machine at a certain height before it looks like crap. But I do like my machine and have not had any problems so far.

5. xprmntl1

xprmntl1 LawnSite Member

Yeah but this particular mower is a gas 20 hp model, and the blade speed is what concerns me most. Isnt your ZTR a deisel?

6. dfd25

dfd25 LawnSite Member

xprmntl1
    i'm glad you asked that question. I have been wondering the exact same thing about the kubota. From a commercial stand point, I like scag the best. The tiger cub is a little cheaper also.

7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

This unit is a good unit of course but it is not really for the hard core commercial mowers. It is meant to offer some light commercial and home owner use. But their is no doubt that Kubota doesnt make junk. The retial price is 6300.00

8. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

yeah we have a diesel.

9. xprmntl1

xprmntl1 LawnSite Member

I have heard good things about scag also but there is no dealers in my area.

I only plan on using the mower for my own residence.

Looks like it's down to either the Exmark or Kubota.

Wish I had some prices on the Exmark Lazer Z 48 and 54's

Anyone know this info?

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If it were me and it came down to a choice between the Kubota and Exmark I would choose the Exmark unless I had a lot of money to burn.

1: The Kubota is a complex and heavy mower. It weighs 1080 pounds compared to Exmark's 900 pounds for the 48 and 975 for the 52. This can make a big difference especially if you like to ride in the same tracks everytime you cut. Kubotas complexity makes repairs by a homeowner unlikely and repairs by a shop expensive. Exmark on the other hand is a much simplier design utilizing standard belts, clutch and drive system. While not all repairs can be done at home some can.

2: You voiced concerns about the BTS and so do I. Although the Kubota has a top speed of 9 mph I doubt that it will be able to cut grass that is growing fast at anywhere near this speed and achieve a high quality cut. The Exmark will just simply be able to out cut it at nearly anytime.