1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kubota ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by idacurt, Jun 30, 2005.

1. idacurt

idacurt LawnSite Member

Has anyone used or seen a kubota ztr in action? The one im interested in is a zg20 with a 48" deck.thanks for any info.
  2. tawilson1152

tawilson1152 LawnSite Member

Just picked up a ZD28 with the pro deck last week. No regrets so far. I'm impressed with the ergonomics of the machine, such as easy access to grease zerks, the easy removal of the belt cover on the deck, the cup holder big enough to hold a couzy(?), etc. It's my first ZTR, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
  3. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

We have two zd21 they work great for us. Had one for almost two years the other for about a year. No major problems yet. There was a recall on I believe the hydraulic pump but other than that runs and works great for me.
  4. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

i have a zg20 and am pleased with the cut quality. The built in jack is great for cleaning and replacing blades, easy to greasy.

The things I don't like about it are the controls. The throttle and PTO levers are parallel to each other and identical. If an emergency arises and you need to disengage the blades, it's easy to confuse the 2 (as was the case for me). The traction is awful for the drive wheels, they are constatly slipping if I'm on a slight incline and turning or backing up. Gas consumption is high, at least compared to my old hustler fastrak.

The cut though is real good and the mower leaves a nice stripe without a kit. Hopefully they'll add that as an option next year since they did get one for the zd series. It's a good lookin mower with good speed and I feel comfortable with my local dealer. I purchased mine for under 6K, 0% for 2 years. I would have liked the larger deck/engine option but couldn't justify the extra $1500... that would put it in a different category. Hope that helps.
  5. idacurt

idacurt LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.How steep are the hills you are not getting traction on? have you used other brand ztr's on the same stuff.
    Have you ever used the bagging system or have you heard anything about it? thanks for the info
  6. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

I just noticed my user name matches my mower model...total coincidence.

Not hills, more like small slopes. I had a Fastrak last year and still have 2 homeowner riding mowers that had no slipping issues in the same areas. I've tried changing the tire pressure but it didn't help. Perhaps it's an issue with weight distribution. I use the mower on my property and mow 2 houses not too far away.

I didn't get the kubota bagging system, I only bag one area of my yard where my kids play. I purchased the Accelerator bagger which works great. My only other complaint with the mower is the parking brake which is foot operated. I prefer hustlers where you'd simply have to open the drive levers outward to brake.

I haven’t mowed when the grass has been wet so I can’t comment on that, but I have noticed the discharge chute to be rather small. Not sure if this would cause clumping if it’s wet, but I don’t mow when it rains so it’s not important to me.

I don’t mean to sound so critical, I’ll nit pick any mower. I’ve attached some pics since I enjoy when others post them. I’d recommend taking the mower out on a demo.

7. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

I have a picture of the bagger in the accelerator forum, I can't find it on my pc. I'm not sure why they didn't add it to their website :cry:

8. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... Following this thread, thanks :).