Kubota ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon S, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Jon S

Jon S LawnSite Member

Purchased a new Kubota ZD21 ZTR this week. Machine has a 60" deck, 21 HP diesel engine,with hydraulic lift. The unit appears to be well built and designed. This is my first ZTR machine, had a John Deere f932 front mount before. The only thing negative I see about the machine is that it tears the turf when doing zero radius turns. Do you guys experience the same thing with your ZTR machines? Kubota has extra wide tires on these units and am wondering if it is the wide tires or all ZTR machines?

Jon

2. dhicks

dhicks Member

Congrats on your new machine. My neighbor has a diesel Kubota, (not a ZTR) and his yard looks GREAT. 6 years he has used his machine and zero problems.

3. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Congratulations, those new kubotas are really nice looking machines. You can't just spin around when you turn, I make a 3 point turn to avoid tearing up the grass. Maybe some of the old veterans can tell you more about turning, I haven't had my ztr very long and don't have that much experience to talk about. Good Luck

4. Skippy

Skippy LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Congrads on the mower. Just a question why Kubota over a Walker? same engine, up to a 62" deck, and been producing them a lot longer and save a few bucks. Nothing against Kubota's just curious.

5. Jon S

Jon S LawnSite Member

Skippy,
    Bought the Kubota because I have 4 other pieces of Kubota equipment and think that it is great equipment. My dealer that sells Kubota is very good and takes good care of me.
    Do you have a ZTR? Do you tear up turf with the zero turns?

Jon S.

6. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. How do you like the pivoting front axle, this is one of my favorites and ofcourse the hydraulic deck lift, and throw in the price of the other leading ztr with a disel and you cant beat it.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

All zero turns do this if you spin them. You must learn the three pt. turn.

8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have that problem with my Walkers!

Congrats on the new Kubota!
    They do make nice equipment.
    They look like a nice machine.
    How does it handle on hills?
    Are you able to run across them very well, or mostly up and down?
    When going down a steep incline, do you have good control?
    It seems like it would be front heavy like most other mid-mounts.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

does your walker not tear up turf in a spin.
    that would classify as pertinent information
    for those buying equipment.this is to capdevo

10. Skippy

Skippy LawnSite Member
    from Maine

My answer to does my walker tear up turf is it depends on the turf, terrain, etc. I always do 3 pt. turns just to be safe. Sometimes you don't need to but why chance it it'll just make your work not lookk as good.