Kubota Ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon S, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Jon S

Jon S LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new Kubota ZTR ZD21, 21 HP diesel with 60" deck. The machine is great! Cuts good, plenty of power, and speed. Anybody who tells you the machine is underpowered does not know what they are talking about!!!!! I will take the 21 HP Kubota diesel engine over a 23/25 HP Kohler any day of the week.

2. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

how good does it stripe? From what i heard it doesnt stripe at all.
  3. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

EX. machine from what I have seen in the pictures.my only problem would be if a pump let go,I believe you would have to take the whole rearend out like the jd 455 ,big bucks alot of down time instead of changing 4 bolts and a couple of lines to change the pump also I believe it would be very costly out of warrenty
  4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

It's NOT a full dual hydro ala Dixie or Exmark.

It's a double transmission ala Walker.

They stripe like any Kubota does: Not terribly impressive, but decent.

That 21hp will produce power comparable to a 25hp A/C or so. Especially when both engines have 1000 hours on them. The Kubota engine will be around after 4000 hours and you'll be on your 3rd AC Kohler by then.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Lets hope not. I paid a premium price to get a mower with a reputation of getting many hours out of engines and I fully expect to get 4000 hours out of my 25 A/C Kohler.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Jon S, congrats on the new mower. I hope you get many years of mowing out of it. :)

Kent Lawns, you said, "The Kubota engine will be around after 4000 hours and you'll be on your 3rd AC Kohler by then." I sure hope it doesn't take 3 Kohlers to get that many hours out of a machine. My Kohler is 509 hours short of 4,000 hours and I still wouldn't have to add oil between oil changes. It might use a cup of oil in 50 hours. At 25 hours after an oil change, I add about a 1/2 cup to top it off. This is on a 22 HP Command Kohler. I haven't heard how the 25's are doing after lots of hours. It all has to do with Preventitive Maintenance. Some engines don't last 1,000 hours and I'm surprised some last that long after seeing how some are taken care of.