kubota ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by acelliott, Feb 21, 2002.

1. acelliott

acelliott LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,

Well, I've been following your posts for a while now. This is a nice community you are building here and I hope it continues to grow!

After much research on this site and elsewhere, I think I've decided to get a Kubota ZD21. I just test drove it in the parking lot and they are going to let me demo it for real before I buy it. It's a very impressive machine, and I test drove several other models, including DC, Exmark, Gravely, etc.

So, last chance to talk me out of it! I have read ALL the threads so I'm looking for new information if anyone has any. I know there are only a few of you out there with them:

- Has anyone having any problems with theirs yet?
    - Anyone put in the gearbox with the faster blade tip speed?
    - Anyone installed the mulching kit?

Thanks very much for your help!

Thanks,

--Andy in Louisiana

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are some previous threads about Kubota here on Lawnsite and you might want to take a look at them. The estate up the street from me has one and it seems to have enough power to do the job. Probably the only reason I wouldn't buy one is the complexity of the machine. I like to work on my own machines and the Kubota is a complex machine with an over abundance of expensive moving parts.

3. acelliott

acelliott LawnSite Member

Richard,

Thanks for input. As I said in my original post, I have already looked at all the existing threads and am looking for new information if there is any, since this is such a new machine.

As for your observation about the excess moving parts, I'm not so sure that's a concern.
    - the blades are being driven by a multiple-wet-disk clutch, a proven reliable technology that may well outlast the electric clutches common in nearly every other ztr, and a sealed shaft with a worm gear drive, also proven reliable.

- the wheels are being driven by a single hydraulic pump powering a transmission that may or may not be complicated, I haven't seen a cutaway. I just talked with Kubota about this concern, and they are going to provide some data that may be helpful in evaluating the durability for us. I will post any information I discover to the site.

--Andy

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i remember a post where somebody just told everybody else ,that hands down his kubota was the best ztr.
    they might as well sell theirs an get one. or something to that effect. he sure thought a lot ofum . later now

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Andy wrote:
    - the blades are being driven by a multiple-wet-disk clutch, a proven reliable technology that may well outlast the electric clutches common in nearly every other ztr, and a sealed shaft with a worm gear drive, also proven reliable.

- the wheels are being driven by a single hydraulic pump powering a transmission that may or may not be complicated,

My point exactly. There is no doubt that Kubotas last a long time, however I wouldn't want to have to foot the bill when it does break.

BTW, my 60" Dixie Chopper has a manual blade clutch that with proper maintenance should last at least several thousand hours and cost less than $100 to rebuild.

6. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

I test drove a ZD21 and was really impressed with the smoothness of the machine! I just do not like the stamped deck.Mulch kit is 400.00 and you have to drill 14 holes to install it.9500 with mulch kit. Bad dealer support.I stuck with my Exmark dealer and got a 60 Lazer LC for 8000 with the Best mulching deck! Great Dealer Support!